Seventeen

On the day of the craft fair, I woke up in Rys's bed alone. It didn't happen that often. Even if he needed to work, he usually did it by my side while I was sleeping, but today, he had a video conference at eight in the morning.

The phone Rys gave me came alive on the nightstand, vibrating loudly. I grabbed it and unlocked the screen.

Kaia: Good luck today. I've worn the necklace you gave me almost every day. This is me now.

She attached a selfie in front of the mirror in a white sundress with the twisted bead necklace I gave her around her neck.

Smiling, I typed the reply.

Me: Thank you! The necklace looks perfect on you. You're up early.

The three dots moved on the screen, and Kaia's reply appeared.

Kaia: Ash has race jitters. I'm going to watch him do training laps at the circuit.

Me: Wish Ash good luck.

Kaia: Will do. Say hi to Rys and slay today.

I put the cell aside and went to get ready in the en suite. Somehow, my toiletries migrated there and took up half of Rys's shelf now. After showering, I put on a pale yellow sundress and settled on the turquoise jewelry set Rys liked.

As I left the room, Rys's voice registered with my ears. I found him pacing the kitchen, talking on his cell.

"Tell them we're interested. How much is the competition ready to pay?"

Rys raked his hand through his styled hair, whistling. "Holy...okay. Let's up our offer."

He listened for a moment, looking at the patio through the glass door. "It'll be worth it. The location is idyllic, and nothing has been for sale in that area in forever."

I tiptoed toward him and slid my arms around his waist from behind, resting my cheek on his back.

Rys turned his head and met my eyes with his. A tender smile lit up his face.

"Yes," he said to the person on the phone. "Send me the doc once it's ready."

I kissed him through his ironed button-down. Rys mouthed 'cielo' and put his palm on my hands I'd clasped on his stomach as he continued listening to whoever was on the other end of the line.

"Okay. Deal. I'll be waiting."

He cut the call, rested the cell on the granite countertop, and turned around.

"Sorry. It was important." He kissed my lips. "Can't sleep?"

"I slept enough. It's already after nine."

"Nervous?"

"A bit, but I'm trying not to be. It's not like I have high expectations. If at least someone's interested in my jewelry, it'll be alright."

Rys tucked a strand of my hair behind my ear. "Okay. I made coffee, but if you'd rather go to the fair now, we could have breakfast at the venue."

The booths at the fair wouldn't open until midday. I still had time to check that everything was ready, and Rys would help me display the jewelry, but we wouldn't see each other after that until late in the afternoon when he returned from a work meeting.

"I don't think I'll be able to eat," I said. "Let's go. I need time to arrange everything."

Rys took the card for his Tesla and his suit jacket, and I got the bag with my jewelry I'd packed last night together with some fabric, seashells, and other stuff I'd use to display the items.