Twenty-eight

The day after Rys's confession, I drove to a nearby town to purchase some of the materials I needed for his gift and other pieces in my collection. I wanted to spend every minute by his side, but at the same time needed a bit of space. It was hard to kiss him and not think soon I wouldn't be able to, and even harder to realize our little moments — having breakfast on the patio, walking along the beach, making love — would turn into memories whether I wanted it or not.

I took my time roaming the stores until my period cramps got so bad I couldn't make a step without wincing. Rys needed to review the contract he drafted for Cohen, but he'd be free soon. I got behind the wheel of my car and drove back to Marfolk.

As I parked in the driveway, a car that didn't belong to Rys caught my eye. He didn't tell me he expected guests, but Cohen might've stopped by to talk business in person. All of my things were at his place now, though, and going to my rental was out of question because I needed a shower and tampons.

Scolding myself for being a chicken, I strolled to the porch. The front door swung open before I could grip the handle. I stumbled back at the sight of a guy slightly taller than Rys. Cold, gray eyes assessed me, then the wall of muscle stepped aside.

"Miss Walton. My apologies."

Rys stormed into the foyer and glared at whoever opened the door. "Elio."

The stony mask slipped off the guy's face. "Emrys. It's been at least fifteen years since I last saw you so flustered."

A male chuckle came from the kitchen doorway. Rys hauled me into his hug at the same time a man whose younger version I remembered seeing in a picture last night strolled toward us. Holding his hand out, he smiled. "Isaac Delano."

Rys's dad. I forced myself to relax and returned the handshake. "Lyra Walton."

"Walton?"

"That's right."

"Forgive my surprised face," he said, gently patting my hand. "I know someone with that last name."

"My dad Francis has a hotel business."

Rys's father chuckled under his breath. "Look at this. Of all places, I meet Francis's kid here. How's your father doing?"

"He's doing great, thank you. So, you know each other?"

"We went to the same college, but I graduated when he still had three years left, and we didn't keep in touch after. I do know about the resorts. Tell him Isaac says hello."

"I will."

Rys gave my waist a gentle squeeze. "Did you buy everything you needed?"

"Um, yeah." I lifted the bag with the stuff I bought. "I'll leave this in our room if you don't mind."

Our room. Heat flooded my cheeks. Just great. Now Rys's father who probably knew nothing about me would assume we live together as a couple.

"I'll go with you. We'll join you in a while, Dad," Rys said to Isaac and shifted his palm to my lower back.

"Don't rush. We won't go out to eat until Mom's here."

Meeting Rys's family wasn't something I expected to happen in Marfolk. As the bedroom door closed behind us, Rys pulled the bag out of my hands and hugged me tightly. "I missed you. And I'm sorry — I had no idea my parents would turn up here. It's not like them to visit unannounced, but Dad wanted to spend a few days on the beach, and—"

"Rys." I silenced him, pressing my fingertips to his lips. "They're your family. I'll just grab some stuff and go to the rental."

He sighed then pressed his mouth to my forehead in a soft kiss. "You'll go out with us, and we'll have fun. You must be hungry."