Twenty-five

Wearing a designer gown that cost a few grand wasn't an everyday occurrence in my life. Every inch of the gold shimmery fabric screamed luxury, and as I stood in front of the mirror in Rys's bedroom with my hair and makeup done and my feet clad in four-inch heeled sandals, I could barely believe the young woman in the glass was me.

The hairstylist-slash-makeup artist Rys had invited over to take care of my look had left me with my long hair in elegant side-swept waves. The champagne eyeshadow and dark brown eyeliner accentuated the color of my eyes, and my face looked more sculpted thanks to the subtle contouring.

"Wow," Rys said from the doorway.

I turned toward him and greedily swept my gaze over his toned body in a three-piece black suit. "That's what I'm saying. Wow."

A cocky smile took over his lips. He approached me, his steps even more confident than usual. "The car is here. But I wanted to give you something first."

My heart quickened its beats at the sight of a velvety box in Rys's hands. He retrieved a thin golden chain with a heart-shaped pendant. The sparkle of the stones framing the heart told me what they were — diamonds.

"Rys," I whispered as the metal touched my skin. "It's too much."

Rys fastened the necklace and kissed the back of my neck. "Last time I checked, it wasn't enough. Let's go, mi cielo."

I threaded my fingers through his. "Thank you."

"You're welcome," Rys said, leading me out of the room.

The sun was low as we stepped out of the house. A black Mercedes Maybach sat in the driveway. A man in a gray suit got out of the driver's side, rounded the vehicle, and opened the door for us. "Mr. Delano. Miss Walton."

"Thank you, Clay." Rys gently rested his hand on the small of my back. "You first, mi cielo."

I sat on the white seat. A fresh citrusy scent mingled with that of leather. Rys dropped onto the seat next to mine, and once he told him we were ready, the driver closed the tinted privacy divider, and the car rolled out onto the street.

Rys wrapped his hand around mine, and I leaned my head on his shoulder.

"I never asked you where the event is," I said.

"Close to Sunlow. The first shipyard was built there, and Cohen chose that symbolic location for the grand celebration."

An hour and forty minutes later, our Mercedes slowed in a port next to a luxury mega yacht that must've been over three hundred feet long. As we got out of the vehicle, I took stock of the vessel's large windows and sweeping decks. Two uniformed crew members, a man and a woman, waited for us by the gangway, smiles plastered on their faces.

"Welcome on-board," the woman said as we stepped forward.

Rys thanked her. Inside the yacht, we took the marble stairs to the main deck. As we entered the spacious dining area, an older man in a black suit with gray peppering his temples approached us and shook Rys's hand.

"Rys. I'm glad you could make it."

"Congratulations on the anniversary," Rys said. "It's our pleasure to be here."

"Enjoy the evening." The business owner nodded with a smile and left to greet some guests that arrived after us.

Rys pressed his hand to the small of my back. "Let's look for our seats."

At least a dozen people greeted us as we weaved through the quickly forming crowd of guests. Round tables covered with beige fabric to match the color of the walls took up the dining area. We found our table and sat next to a couple Rys knew.