Twenty-two

Rys and I were going to watch the sunrise on the beach, but exhaustion made us return home. We fell asleep in each other's arms, and although I didn't solve the scholarship problems, I didn't lose sleep over them, maybe because Rys's warm chest pressed to my back and his soft breaths made it hard to focus on anything else.

He didn't seem to have moved at all as I woke up to the blinding sunlight flooding the room. After casting a glance at Rys's handsome face, I slipped from under the covers and grabbed the first dress I found in the closet before heading to the guest bathroom to get ready.

It was too late for breakfast, but not brunch, and for once, I wanted to be the one to cook for us. Rys sleeping in was as weird as not hearing his phone go off every hour. He deserved some rest and a good meal.

I settled for making an omelet and frying some bacon. When the food was ready, he wasn't up yet. Since I didn't want to eat without him, I busied myself with tidying the living room. Besides, the rare mess was mine — the supplies I used to make a collar and the folder full of patterns were on the coffee table Rys hardly ever left things on.

I was only going to look at the pattern I needed to finish a piece I'd started, but somehow, I got caught up in the designs until I reached the last page. There, tucked between others, were four half-done pencil sketches, my attempts at something original. I hadn't drawn in a while, but I remembered how it was done.

"Good morning."

Rys leaned against the doorframe, bare-chested with a half-baked grin on his lips.

I snapped the folder shut and rushed to his side. "Good morning, Mr. Delano."

He smacked my butt. "Rys. I thought we were on the same page about ways of addressing each other."

"I woke up and decided to be a rebel."

"Of course," Rys said, drawing an arm around my shoulders.

I hugged his waist and pressed a kiss to his neck. "I made brunch."

He ran a palm down my back. "Thank you. It smells delicious, and I'm starving."

Rys set the table in the dining room, and we settled to eat by the window. A breeze ruffled the umbrellas on the patio, but the bright blue sky promised a perfect summer day.

"God, this is so good." Rys moaned, chewing on a bite of the omelet. "Is there anything you're bad at? I've just discovered another of your talents, Miss Walton."

"Lyra."

"I decided to be a rebel today." He winked over the rim of his mug. As he set it down, he reached for a napkin and dabbed at the corners of his mouth. The tilt of his head and his attentive gaze told me he was up to something, but I kept eating.

Rys cut a piece of his bacon and forked it. "So... Have you thought about last night's offer?"

"The sex one?"

He sighed. "What am I gonna do with you?"

"Punish me?"

"Might as well," he said, bringing the fork to his lips. Despite the amusement in Rys's eyes, warmth swathed my cheeks, and I squirmed on my chair.

Rys finished eating and pushed his empty plate aside. "The money offer stands. So does the other one."

Playfulness vacated Rys's tone. He curled a palm around the mug and drummed a rhythm on the glass with his free hand. "I meant it, and enough hours have passed for you to have reconsidered."

"Rys..."

"Lyra..."

"I haven't changed my mind. I still want to do this on my own."