XO.6 ~ Blood & DNA

"We were correct in our assumption in that the patient had a small reaction to the blood bag we had given him," The doctor said. 

     It was the next day, and as soon as we arrived at the hospital, the doctors took us and Mr Kim aside to give as the results. 

     "We don't know how we managed to mix up the blood bags of his direct relative and the blood bags we were given by the blood centre," The doctor continued, "sometimes, on a really rare occasion, if a patient is given a blood transfusion from a direct relative then there might be a small reaction."

     "Excuse me, did you just say 'direct relative'?" Mr Kim asked thinking he had misheard the doctor, or maybe they had accidentally mixed up the reports.

     "Yes, the blood bag we first gave him yesterday was actually meant for someone else, but it accidentally got mixed up with the blood bags for Dae Heon Kim," The doctor nodded, "we did tests yesterday and found out that the DNA in the blood bag and the DNA sample we took from the patient are similar."

     "But, I'm a type B, and my daughter is a type A," Mr Kim said slowly, "Plus, we've never donated blood before."

     "His mother perhaps?" The doctor suggested, closing the folder in his hands, looking concerned. 

       "His mother is AB+ type, but she passed away nearly three years ago now," Minho spoke up. 

    "Do you have another child that has the same blood type?" The doctor asked. He looked really concerned now.

      "No, I only have the two children," Mr Kim said. 

   "Did you give up a child for adoption at any time? Or anything like that? Or maybe a half sibling?" The doctor opened the folder up again. 

       Mr Kim shook his head. 

    "Mr Kim," The doctor said, "if this person has donated blood through the blood centre, then no doubt we might accidentally give the patient the wrong blood bag again. We can't afford for Dae Heon Kim to have another reaction. Reactions to blood transfusions can be mild or they can be life-threatening. Thankfully, yesterday's reaction was mild, but there is no guarantee that the next reaction will be the same."

      "Do you know the name of the person who donated that blood bag?" Q asked. 

   "Not directly," The doctor said, "when donating blood we have to test it first to make sure it's safe for use, otherwise we might be giving a patient someone else's disease or illness. Once cleared, the donor's unique barcode and type is place on the bag. The barcode has the details of the donor just in case they are needed to give more blood in an emergancy."

     "So why can't you can scan and match the barcode to ones on the blood bag to make sure you don't accidentally give it?" I asked.

     "There could be many reasons for that," Florian answered her before the doctor could, "maybe they don't have the equipment to do so, or they don't have enough time or staff to go through every single AB+ type blood bag they have to scan the codes to see if the details match, or even if they do find the blood bags that match the barcode, if a nurse that hasn't been here long is the one to change the blood bags, she might accidentally pick the wrong one."

     "So how do we find out the person behind the barcode?" Alex questioned. 

  "I don't know if it would break rules and regulations, but you could try and ask the blood centre. It may take a while to sift through the files and get an answer," The doctor replied,  "Anyway, for now, we won't be giving the patient any AB+ type blood bags."