Chapter 87 Code 871

Start from the beginning

Higa could see that Yanai's eyes were still glazed over with fond reminiscence, but that didn't last long. He aimed the pistol again, and the safety was clearly off on the left side of the frame. Kikuoka's comprehensive planning in making sure even the engineers got basic shooting training had backfired.

Fortunately, Yanai still had some things to get off his chest, so he wasn't pulling the trigger yet.

Yanai:..So the boss's life might be over now, but the line he set up is still alive. So it's up to me to pick up the slack and take over from where he left off.

Higa: Um...what line is that?

Higa asked automatically. Yanai made a show of weighing the question, then grinned and answered.

Yanai: The American National Security Agency.

Higa: Th-the what?!

He shouted, but on the inside, it was just confirming Higa's suspicions. It was an open secret that the NSA was involved in wiretapping and signal intercepting inside of Japan. There was no way they wouldn't take an interest in Japan's lead in full-dive tech. So Yanai, Sugou's subordinate, had sent the NSA information on Project Alicization, and they'd chartered a navy sub to come and steal A.L.I.C.E. in return.

Yanai: If the Americans below us manage to recover Alice properly, I'll get a stupid-fat bonus, and they'll guarantee me a position over there. That's the American dream that Mr. Sugou talked about.

Higa(mind): And then the rest of the world will quake in fear at the Americans' high-powered unmanned weaponry.

He had to stay cool, to find a way to keep this conversation going so that he could seize any chance that presented itself.

Higa(mind): Please notice something's wrong, Rinko!

He prayed. The laptop nearly slipped out of his hand, and he hastily readjusted his grip on it.

Yanai: D-don't move!!

Yanai screamed, pointing the gun at the side of the duct and pulling the trigger. There was a yellow flash of light as well as a powerful burst of air displacement that shook Higa's eardrums. Sparks burst against the metal wall—and a sharp shock bit Higa's right shoulder.

Yanai: Huh?

Yanai sounded surprised.

(Underworld)

Sinon: You're Subtilizer!

The man in combat fatigues who appeared atop the scarred rock looked to the south. In a monotone voice, he said.

Subtilizer: So Alice escaped...Very well. I'll catch her soon...

Then he looked back at Sinon and smiled thinly at her.

Subtilizer:...I fought against you in a Gun Gale Online event, didn't I? Your name was...Sinon? To think we'd run into each other again here.

Sinon fought desperately to keep her hands from trembling as she listened to the vaguely inhuman voice of the man who was both Vecta, the god of darkness, and Subtilizer. But her fingers cramped, sweat greased her palms, and she knew that if she tried too hard to use Solus's bow now, she would drop it. As he stood atop the round basin creature, Subtilizer spoke to her in smooth, fluent Japanese, holding a smile without warmth all the while.

Subtilizer: What does this mean, I wonder? I'd heard that there were STLs in Japan itself...Does this mean you're connected to Rath somehow? Or are you a mercenary, too, and flew out to this distant place?

The voice that came through Sinon's cracked lips was hoarse.

Sinon: Subtilizer...why are you here?

Subtilizer: I am here because it was inevitable, of course.