Chapter 79 Blood and Life

No one's POV

The blowback from that impossibly huge art and the destruction that it wreaked worked together to crush Alice. As soon as the Osmanthus Blade had returned to her sheath, she crumpled onto Amayori's back.

The dragon gently cushioned her body, slowly descending in a spiral motion toward the front line of the Human Guardian Army. The first to run to the dragon was Vice Commander Fanatio. Her outstretched arms caught Alice as she slid from the dragon's back.

Fanatio:...That was incredible spellwork and Incarnation, Alice.

Fanatio said, overcome with emotion. Alice's eyelids rose, giving her a glimpse of the burning red floor of the ravine and the figures of enemy soldiers fleeing in uncontrolled panic. She couldn't see any bodies, even. Either the initial burst of light had evaporated them instantly, or the explosion had scattered them pride, but soon there came a swelling roar of cheers from the soldiers around her. Individual voices blended and morphed into one great exultation of triumph, repeated over and over.

Praise for the Integrity Knights and the Axiom Church ringing in her ears, Alice finally let out the breath she'd been holding and straightened herself up with Fanatio's help. The vice commander gave her a sympathetic smile and dipped her head.

Fanatio: The enemy has retreated. You guided us to victory.

Alice smiled back at her, then said severely.

Alice: The battle is not yet over, Fanatio. We must consume the sacred power created by that attack for healing arts, lest the enemy reuse it against us.

Fanatio: You're right...The dark knights and pugilists that make up the core of their army are still in pristine shape. In that case, everyone on their feet currently, take the wounded and withdraw toward the Second Regiment! All priests and those guardsmen with knowledge of healing arts, focus on curing the wounded as best you can until the power dries up! And keep an eye on the enemy in the meanwhile!

The guards scrambled to carry out her order. In the rear, the commands for sacred arts could be heard, one after the other.

Fanatio: I will report to the commander himself. May I leave this in your hands now?

Alice nodded, and Fanatio gave her another smile before trotting off. The people cleared out of the area, and soon only Alice and Amayori were present at the front line. She watched the vice commander go, then walked to her dragon and scratched under its chin, purring.

Alice: You did very well up there, Amayori. I know it must have been tiring to maintain a stationary position for so long. Go back to your bed and eat your fill.

The dragon trilled excitedly, then flapped its wings and rose into the air until it could glide back to its own kind at the rear of the camp. Alice had just taken her very first step toward aiding the injured when she heard a voice.

Eldrie:.........Mentor.

It was low and soft and belonged to Eldrie. She turned around to offer encouragement and praise to her only disciple and saw the young man, who was always so carefree and saucy, in a dreadful state. The sword in his right hand and the whip in his left were dyed black with thick dried blood. On top of that, his shining armor and lustrous, curled lilac hair were splattered and hideous. How hard did one have to fight to end up looking like this?

 How hard did one have to fight to end up looking like this?