Chapter 75 The Final Load Test

No one's POV

Heavy combat boots slamming against thick steel wall drowned out the second half of the word. Vassago Casals, one of the Hispanic members of the assault team, was not satisfied with just putting a few dents in the wall, so he stomped on a package of snacks left behind by one of the Rath engineers who'd occupied this control room less than an hour ago. Only then did his stream of obscenities stop.

He brushed back his wavy black hair, marched to the console desk, and grabbed the collar of the man standing there

Vassago: Critter, you bastard... Say that one more goddamn time!

Hanging from Vassago's whip-strong arm was a scrawny-looking young man. His blond hair was shaved short, and his skin was almost pathologically pale. Thick, metal-framed glasses rested over his sunken cheeks. This was the team's only noncombatant. He was a hacker named Critter, a nonregular employee of Glowgen Defense Systems's cyber operations (CYOP) division.

He had an arrest record for cybercrime, and his name was obviously a handle, not given. The same was true of Vassago. That name came from one of the seventy-two demons listed in the infamous medieval demonology tome Ars Goetia, where Vassago was described as one of the princes of Hell. No parent would actually give their child such a name. He, too, was a member of the CYOP division, but his specialty was not in computing but in active combat—in a full-dive setting, that is. Like Critter, he had a sordid past record, but his ability to fight in VR was unparalleled.

As a matter of fact, outside of the leader, Gabriel Miller, the rest of the twelve-man Ocean Turtle assault team were pet dogs with sordid pasts who were promised new, secure identities for their work.

As one of those dogs, Critter didn't seem particularly scared, hanging from Vassago's grip. He continued chewing his gum.

Critter: I'll repeat it as many times as you want, Vassago. Listen up! This console is locked tighter then a pile of dried turds. I could crunch the numbers on the laptop we brought until you die of old age, and I'd still never crack it!

Vassago: You're missing the point, you damed Four-Eyes! You said it got locked because the rest of us were taking too long to break through, you son of a bitch!!