Chapter 86 Ghost of SAO

No one's POV

Sinon(mind): I didn't make it in time.

Sinon watched the crying knight in golden armor clinging to the scarred body of the older swordsman in silence. At the knight's side, two huge dragons hung their heads, apparently sharing in the grief.

She had raced through the air after Alice, the Priestess of Light, who would decide the fate of the world; her captor, Vecta, the god of darkness; and Knight Commander Bercouli, who was in hot pursuit of them. She'd made full use of the voluntary flight system she'd had to practice so hard in ALO and kept her bearing south at the maximum speed the system would allow—but by the time she caught up to them, the battle was already over.

Perhaps this was a moment where she ought to praise Bercouli's strength, instead. He had caught up to Vecta's dragon, which should have been impossible, and beaten the unbeatable super-account.

There was one great injustice in the situation, however.

With Bercouli's death, his soul was lost forever. But the destruction of the soul of Vecta, the god of darkness, was not the end of him.

Sinon needed to explain that the danger had not fully passed to Alice, who had cried all she could for now and so currently sat still and empty. But Sinon didn't know the right words to use.

Valuable minutes trickled away in silence, until at last it was Alice who spoke first. Despite the tears that reddened her face, Alice's stunning beauty left Sinon speechless. Her cobalt-blue eyes, shining like the surface of water, caught the sniper directly.

Sinon(mind): She looks just like Big Sister Rumia!

Sinon eyes widened in disbelief. Alice's appearance truly resemble Zora's late Big Sister. Her pink lips opened to expel a voice as gentle and clear as a platinum bell.

 Her pink lips opened to expel a voice as gentle and clear as a platinum bell

Alice: Did you...come from the real world, too?

Sinon: Yes.

Sinon admitted.

Sinon: I am Sinon. I'm a friend to Philia and Zora. I came here to rescue you and Bercouli from Vecta... I'm sorry that I wasn't able to make it in time.

Sinon knelt on the rocky top, which was scarred from the fierce battle, and bowed in apology to the other girl. Alice just shook her head.

Alice: No...I was foolish. I paid no attention to my rear and was kidnapped as helplessly as a baby. It is my fault. Even though saving my life is nowhere near equal to losing the life of a great man like Unc...like the commander of the Integrity Knights.

The deep regret and self-admonishment in her voice robbed Sinon of the ability to speak. Alice looked up, fighting back tears.

Alice: What is happening in the battle?

Sinon:...Philia and the human army are managing to fight off the red army from the real world.

Alice: Then I will return north to them.