Chapter Fifteen // Aftermath Moments

Watching the camp burial shrouds burn that night was almost too much.

That, on top of trying to comfort a lot of younger campers and just the general campers of the Apollo cabin, made me feel sick.

Will spent most of the time standing beside me–his face pale and distant as he watched his older brother's–Lee Fletcher–shroud burn. I also spent a good time making sure that Pollux was okay with the passing of his twin–Castor.

It was safe to say I didn't sleep that much.

And the next day wasn't much better.

I helped Will and the rest of the medics patch up the wounded–which was a majority of the camp's attendees.

I was in the middle of holding an older camper's hand as he got his shoulder stitched up–talking to him as he tried not to throw up from his fear of needles and from the pain–when a familiar face appeared in the medical wing of the Big House.

Mr. D–dressed in a formal suit–marched in, his eyes sweeping the room until they fell on me, sending me a nod.

I knew that was his version of calling for me to follow him.

I looked at Will–who frightfully glanced between the god and me–before I whispered, "Be right back..."

I rinsed my hands off before following the god into the sitting room of the Big House, sitting on the edge of one of the armchairs and waiting for him to speak.

"I don't normally do this..." Mr. D sounded more annoyed than thankful as he spoke. "But I wanted to thank you for comforting my son..."

I blinked in surprise, "Pardon?"

"Us gods do not normally fraternize without children–but Pollux and Castor are special to me–and now, Castor is dead."

A lump filled my throat as I nodded solemnly, "I'm really sorry, Lord Dionysus, for your loss."

He looked tired as the fire in the fireplace reflected off his features, and when he met my gaze, I saw a crack in his normal eff your facade, "Thank you, Sally Elway-Jackson."

My lips lifted in a lopsided smile–realizing this was probably the first time he had called me by my real name–before I said, "Castor...Castor was an awesome kid and friend–and he will be missed."

He just nodded–looking away into the fire again.

I stood after a few moments of silence, only to be stopped when I was walking by his armchair, "You're my favorite of Seaweed's kids just so you know. Perry Johnson is way more annoying than you."

I laughed, dropping my chin to my chest, "I would have to agree with you on that."

I left the god to mourn–trying not to cry myself at seeing just how much he cared about his fallen son after years of him being a whole-ass douche to everyone.

I returned to my station for a few more hours before I was given a doctor's note to leave after I was starting to become lethargic after so many hours of no sleep.

I had given Will a harsh look–telling him I would go if he would take a nap–to which the older Apollo kids agreed with me, basically forcing the kid to go with me.

So I dropped Will off at his cabin–snorting when he fell asleep as soon as his golden curly head dropped to his pillows.

"Sleep well, Sol," I murmured as I tucked him in and kissed his forehead.

When I exited the Apollo cabin–staring over the primarily silent and recovering camp, I had the sudden urge to just start sobbing as my bare feet padded across the field to the lake.