Chapter Ten // Why Are Brothers the Worst?

so sorry i just like disappeared!

life got waayyyy busier than i expected!

but enjoyed this chapter! thank you for reading!

~gwenlee

_______________________________________________________________________________

As much as I didn't want to, Rachel asked me to help her get the rest of the gold out of her hair.

    She probably knew Annabeth would downright refuse, and Percy is Percy, so of course, that left me. 

    So I helped her.

    She had changed into a ratty Museum of Modern Art T-shirt and the marker-colored jeans she had been wearing at Hoover Dam last winter.

    I was doing my best to help her brush the gold out of her hair as she fired off questions at me.

    "So you and Percy are siblings?"

    "Yes."

    "Like by mortal or godly parent?"

    "Godly."

    "But you live together? With who?"

    "Our mom. I was adopted last winter."

    "Oh cool...Are Annabeth and Percy together?"

    "That's none of your business."

    "Why do you guys have streaks of gray in your hair? Like all three of you have it, but why is it there? It wasn't there when I met you guys."

    "We took on a Titan's curse last winter. After we met you."

    "What Titan's curse?"

    "Atlas's."

    "Who is Atlas?"

    "A Titan."

    "What is a—"

    "Could you stop asking me questions like I'm some kind of walking web browser? I'm not Google!"

    "...how do you know what Google is?"

    "Lizzie, please shut up."

    She was quiet for the rest of the time. I tried to help her tame her wild red curls–but I could feel her watching my every move.

    I don't know why I did it, but I found myself pulling Rachel's hair up into a ponytail–braiding some hair back to keep it from her face before finishing it off with a colored scrunchie she gave me.

    When I finished, I clapped away the glitter from my hands before shoving them into my shorts pockets, "Ready to go?"

    Rachel stared at the hairdo I had pulled together, and she muttered, "Can you show me how to do this later?"

    I blinked before shrugging and saying, "Sure."

    Rachel Elizabeth Dare wasn't a bad person–she just got on my nerves sometimes. She also needed to back off from my brother.

    But anyways–while Rachel led us back through the hotel, Annabeth grabbed my wrist and whispered, "What did she ask you?"

    "Too many questions."

    "What did you tell her?"

    "Vague answers."

    Annabeth nodded, continuing to walk beside me stiffly.