48

Every day Lia saw Ellie at least once. Normally it was from afar. She watched Ellie get back into the Jackson routine, helping out wherever she could. Ellie spent most of her time helping out now. She even started to smile again.

Jesse's prediction was right and it took about a month for Dina to finally give in and start to forgive Ellie. She couldn't help it - Ellie was her best friend, and she really missed Ellie.

Lia and Ellie were left in their own weird space. Friendly, yet not exactly friends. It was strange and it brought a weird feeling in Lia's chest as she continued to observe the girl.

"Okay, what else do you need?" Jesse asked Lia before he left out for patrol.

"Bandages, amoxicillin, menstrual products-" Jesse grimaced at the words slightly, causing Lia to glare at him slightly, "you have a baby girl - get used to it."

"She's four months old."

"And in no time she'll be 14. Shut up and get used to it."

"Yes ma'am," Jesse chuckled as Lia grimaced at being called ma'am. It made her feel old, "I'll tell the patrollers to look out for these. One group is going into town today."

"Great, thanks, Jesse," Lia smiled at the man before he left and she continued on. Lia double-checked all their supplies and made note for the next time they needed a supply run. Her eyebrows furrowed as she looked at the low supply of amoxicillin.

"You know, the longer you look doesn't mean the bin is gonna magically fill up with supplies," Ellie's voice carried over. Lia turned to the girl, sending her a tight-lip smile.

"If I had that type of power, I could rule the whole world."

"The horror," Ellie chuckled, grimacing slightly at her words as she shook her head nervously.

"What's up?"

"I was wondering if I could get my wrist checked out?" Ellie asked, "It's been bugging me."

"Sure," Lia nodded, "just give me a sec. You can sit over there." Ellie nodded as she sat down. Her eyes were on Lia who was finishing up writing something, breathing deeply. Once Lia finished up, she sent Ellie a tight-lipped smile and walked over to her, "Which wrist?"

"Oh, uh, this one," Ellie held out her tattooed arm, making Lia nod.

Lia grabbed her arm gently, putting pressure on each area of her wrist, "Does it hurt here?"

"No."

"Here?"

"No."

"Here?"

"Yeah," Ellie grimaced slightly. Lia furrowed her eyebrows since she didn't feel anything torn. She put more pressure on it, watching Ellie's reaction. Lia bit her lip to hold in a small grin.

Lia trailed her hands up to apply pressure to different areas. Her thumb softly traced the tattoo as her eyes stayed put on it. Lia cleared her throat, shaking her head and stepping back as Ellie watched her, "I didn't feel anything torn. Can you apply pressure?"

"Uh, yeah," Ellie nodded.

Lia nodded slowly as she turned away with a small smile, "Why are you actually here, Ellie?"

"My wrist-"

"There's nothing wrong with your wrist," Lia said, "why are you really here?"

"I-" Ellie started but was cut off when the door opened and Cassie came running in. Lia frowned at the girl.

"Cas-"

"Where's my mom?" Cassie asked, almost in tears.

"With Maria. Are you alright?" Lia asked, "Are you sick? Hurt?"