16

Hello I'm still alive and I hope you guys didn't give upon this book. 6.5k words so that's two chapters at once. I hope you guys enjoy it lol

════════════════

Fuck! Fuck! Fucking fuckity fuck!

Panic squeezing my lungs at the thought of Kate dying, I pulled out the list of Cyrus' contacts and searched for Katrina Evans' name to get her contact number. When it turned out to be a futile attempt, I searched for her husband's number. On finding it, I dialed it on instinct, gazing at the time. I had fifteen minutes at best.

He hadn't answered it.

Shit!

Sandwiching the phone between my ear and my shoulder, I barged into Cyrus' office without knocking on the door, taking him off guard.

"There is a bomb in Kate's car. It'll fulminate in fifteen minutes," I yelled, calling Hayden's number again.

"What?" was my boss' energy-saving response because he was a cheapskate like that.

"Katrina Evans. Hayden's wife will die. I can't explain. Inform the police or her husband or someone. Do something. Please," I begged, throat growing dry with fear.

When Hayden's unanswered call terminated, I rushed through my contacts and called Xayvion because Kate and his sister were friends.

Xayvion answered it on the second ring. "What's kickin', little chicken?"

"Kate's number. Call her now or give me her number."

"Delusional of you to assume I'll have her number." Xayvion's voice boomed from the phone.

Gazing at my wristwatch, I demanded, "Put your sister on the conference. Now!"

"Why?"

"Do it, Xay. I'm running out of time." Urgency rushed through me.

Fortunately, Xayvion obliged, putting my call on hold, and I flung my eyes to Cyrus, who was calling Hayden from the looks.

Despite his sour mood from the morning, he trusted me.

"Hello?" Eirlys' voice filtered through my ears.

"Call Kate. This is urgent," I panicked, heart thundering in my ears.

"Why?" she inquired.

"I heard there is a bomb in her car that is about to go off in twelve minutes. No clue if it's true or false. Just call her, quick!" I hushed, sweat beads breaking on my forehead.

How did soldiers go to war knowing how death reigns in the war zone? How did people on the safer side feel trying to save them? I would be damned if I couldn't get to Kate in time. Maybe this was my redemption for all my sins.

"She isn't picking up the call," Eirlys' tone had a note of panic.

"Are you fucking kidding me?" Xayvion let out a frustrated groan.

Suggested Eirlys patiently, "I'll try again, but call Hayden."

"Cyrus is on it." My eyes flung to Cyrus, who nodded.

"Ten more minutes," I whispered, heart battering with fear, nerves knotting in my stomach.

"No!" Eirlys protested. "I'm calling her again. You guys! Her last snap was ten minutes back. She was at Rise & Grind."

Rise & Grind. A cafe that served espresso, baked goods & savory small plates. It was twenty minutes from my Hedophile's holdings.

Fuck!