04

HELLO! I'M NOT DEAD LMAO

Life was a bitch and kept me on my toes. I'll make it up to you guys with more updates this week. 6.5k words. Brace yourself lmao

Also thank you to everyone who's given both me and my Acquisition so much love, and made it my most read book so far❤️

════════════════

| 5 years ago |

I was a rarity.

In a world where losing a bloody phone was more scandalous than losing virginity, I was a rarity since I was a virgin. And by a virgin, I meant it in the purest form. The kind of virgin who never kissed a guy, never hugged a guy, never had a drink, never watched porn.

Thanks to my all-girls boarding school and an overprotective brother who had more skeletons in his closet than his age. It was for the sake of my silver-spoon family name's reputation that I had to keep up with the pretenses. I'd been raised like a proper lady.

Fuck being proper.

I was going to shag tonight. Who and where was not the question. Okay, maybe they were. Or why else would I be treasuring all my sexual firsts till my eighteenth birthday? All I wanted was a pleasant experience, but I had finally mustered up the courage to cross off my teenage bucket list.

A part of me was still surprised that my no-nonsense brother permitted me to throw a bash for my eighteenth birthday in Los Angeles — far away from my home — and a bigger part of me wanted to take advantage of this situation to get laid.

Taking a sip of my scotch whiskey — the only drink name I knew, thanks to my brother — I looked down at my phone screen to calm my nerves, trying to choose a good pickup line from a Reddit comments section.

Wanna play pokemon?

I'm a challenger in League of Legends.

Look at that boulder, nice boulder.

"They are so cringe!" whined my friend, Lucy, her forehead creasing in disapproval. Those wouldn't do even for an inexperienced virgin like me.

My thoughts swiveled into nothingness when a tall, blonde guy slid beside Lucy and ordered, "Hey, Jack, an Iron Butterfly."

Horror pooled in Lucy's eyes. "Butterfly in a drink!! Eww..."

"It's just the name, sweetheart," the handsome guy purred, shifting his attention to my friend. His eyes found mine, and he shot me a warm smile.

"Did I ask though?" Lucy raised a brow.

"I still have your attention, sweetheart." Judging by their proximity, his breath fanned the shell of her ear. Hell, I could practically sense his cologne smell.

A seductive smile danced on my friend's lips as she leaned forward and whispered something quirky in his ear. Pushing her chest softly against his bicep as her hand trailed on his thigh.

Heaving a sigh, I tamped down on the discontent in my chest. I was useless in this sex department; maybe I would die as a virgin.

"Can we take this to bed, Athena?" The blonde guy's low rumble made me even more envious of my friend's charm. Athena. She lied about her name because this was just a fling.

My eyes drifted to me and she smiled half encouragingly and half apologetically. "Not yet, Xayvion..."

They had already exchanged names? Could my life be any more ludicrous than it was? Huffing, I started scrolling through my phone mindlessly as I took another long sip of my drink, allowing myself to drown in the flavors of caramel, honey, and smoke.