Chapter 4: WCKD

Joanna, Newt, Thomas and Minho walked into the medjacks hut.

Joanna and Thomas looked at Alby as they passed. He wasn't looking good.

"Jeff." Joanna said, "What's going on?"

"Why won't she wake up?" Newt said, feeling anxious.

"Hey man, I got my job the same way you did." Jeff replied, looking tired.

Joanna and Newt looked at each other and then at Thomas, who was staring at the girl.

"Do you recognise her?" Joanna said. It almost sounded like Jealousy.

"No." Thomas replied.

"Really? Cos she seemed to recognise you." Newt said bluntly.

"What about the note?" Thomas asked.

"We will worry about it later." Joanna replied.

"I think you should worry about it now." Thomas said.

The boys looked at him. Joanna watched the girl breathe.

"We have enough to deal with at the moment, with Alby and this girl." Newt said.

"Guys, he's right." Jeff said, "The box isn't coming back up. How long do you think we can last?"

"No one said that." Newt said, "Let's not jump to any conclusions."

"The note said that she's that last one. The last person to come back up. How will we know if the box will come back up with supplies." Joanna said quietly.

Newt looked at her softly.

"Let's just wait until she wakes up and see if she knows anything. There's gotta be some answers somewhere." Newt said and rubbed Joanna's arm.

"Okay." Thomas said and walked off.

"Where are you going?" Minho asked.

"Back into the Maze." Thomas replied bluntly.

Joanna and Minho ran after him.

Joanna put her hand on his chest to stop him.
"What is this? A death wish? You just got out and now you want back in? You crazy Shank."

"I mean Newt said we need answers. Well we have one out in the Maze! No one's ever killed a Griever. Now we have one! You really don't want to go look?" Thomas asked.

"No" Minho cringed.
"Yes" Joanna said.

Minho looked at her and rolled his eyes.

"What so are you gonna dissect that thing all by yourself?" Minho asked him.

"I will if I have to. What about the other runners?" Thomas asked.

"After Alby, they quit this morning. People are shaken up pretty bad." Joanna responded clicking her head towards the group of boys.

"Yeah they aren't in any hurry to go back out there." Minho sighed.

"Okay." Thomas said and started to walk again.

"Hey!" Joanna pushed her hand harder against his chest, pushing him back.

"Why do you want to go out there so badly?" Minho asked him.

"I think it's time to know what we are really up against." Thomas said. Minho looked at Joanna. She nodded.

"Right, you two meet me out in the woods by the hut. I'll be back. Give me half an hour." Minho said and walked off.

"Come on, Tommy." Joanna said and took his hand, pulling him towards the map hut in the woods.

"I can't believe you did that. You dumb Shank!" Joanna said pushing Thomas onto the hut wall. "You could've gotten yourself killed!"