One Hundred and Thirty-Four: There is lots of tension (not the sexy kind)

Start from the beginning

"He's in danger." Percy said.

"We have to go back into the maze." Sen grimaced. Percy could tell she didn't want to. He'd been trying not to say it, or even think it.

But ever since the maze, Sen hadn't been right.

Annabeth said, "No kidding. Minos is one of the judges of the dead, but he's got a vicious streak a mile wide. I don't know what he wants with Nico, but-"

"That's not what I meant." Percy said. "I had this dream last night..." Percy told the girls about Luke, how he'd mentioned Quintus, and how his men had found a half-blood alone in the maze.

Sen was silent.

Annabeth's jaw clenched. "That's very, very bad."

Percy sighed. "So, what do we do?" Sen's eyes splintered off and Percy nudged her. They snapped back together and she took a deep breath.

Annabeth raised an eyebrow. "Well, it's a good thing you have a plan to guide us, huh?" 

˚ ༘♡ ⋆。˚ ❀

It was Saturday, and traffic was heavy going into the city. The demigods arrived at Percy's  mom's apartment around noon. When she answered the door, she gave Percy a hug only a little less overwhelming than having a hellhound jump on you.

"I told them you were all right." Sally said, but she sounded like the weight of the sky had just been lifted off her shoulders- which, all of the demigods present knew what that felt like.

She sat them down at the kitchen table and insisted on feeding them her special blue chocolate-chip cookies while the demigods caught her up on the quest. As usual, Percy tried to water down the frightening parts (which was pretty much everything), but somehow that just made it sound more dangerous. As usual, Sen was not allowed to tell the story.

When Percy got to the part about Geryon and the stables, his mom pretended like she was going to strangle him. "I can't get him to clean his room, but he'll clean a hundred tons of horse manure out of some monster's stables?"

Sen smiled. "THAT'S WHAT I'M SAYING!"

She laughed. It was nice to hear her laugh. It was a genuine one, and Percy doubted she'd had many of those. Even Annabeth smiled fondly at the sight of Sen laughing.

"So," Sally said when Percy was done with the story. "you wrecked Alcatraz Island, made Mount St. Helens explode, and displaced half a million people, but at least you're safe." That's Percy's mom, always looking on the bright side.

"Yep." Percy nodded. "That pretty much covers it."

"I wish Paul were here." She said, half to herself. "He wanted to talk to you."

Percy slumped. "Oh, right... the school."

So much had happened since then, Percy had almost forgotten about the high school orientation at Goode- the fact he'd left the band hall in flames, and his mom's boyfriend had last seen Percy jumping through a window like a fugitive.