Chapter One

Our tale begins with three countries- the lavishly rich country of Dulce, ruled by Gumball. The unknown lands of the demons, whose ships preyed upon the other countries' and were ruled from the shadows by a cruel queen and her son. And finally, the land of the Duine, ruled by an old but just king. But he was not the one the public focused on- it was his beloved only child, who went among her people and earned the nickname, 'Fionna the Human' for her contributions to her people.

It is with her that we start our tale, and the Dreaded Captain of the Shadows, who struck terror into the hearts of the sailors of Dulce and Duine.

~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~

"You wanted to see me, Father?" Fionna asked warily. The Navy had been doing well, aside from him.

"The demon who haunts our seas..." Her father began.

Fionna's heart sank. So this was about him, and not about her progress. "What about him?"

"He's endorsed by the Queen of the Unknown Lands herself. He is her son." Her father creaked. "So this may be taken as an act of war... however!"

Fionna straightened suddenly, having started to zone out at his words. "To keep the Unknown Lands from attacking, we should form an alliance with the Principality of Dulce."

Fionna nodded. "I'll prepare my ship immediately. Who is the ambassador that you have in mind?"

Her father shook his head. "You must marry the ruler of Dulce."

"I'm... sorry, what?"

"Our alliance must be as strong as the iron that we mine." Her father continued. "So there must be no room for error."

"But...! The court of Dulce is radically different from here." Fionna pleaded. "Prince Gumball likely wants a delicate, beautiful porcelain doll of a girl! Not me! And who would become the new captain of the Silver Sword?"

Her father shot her a look. "We do not whine, Fionna. I would find your replacement soon enough- queens are not captains, in any case, so you would have to give up the ship for the throne as soon as I passed on."

He noted her expression, and sighed. "I know this must be hard for you, but it's for the best. The people of Duine need you to do this. Will you let them down, and let that scourge continue to ransack our ships?"

"No, Father." Fionna sighed. "I just... never mind. When do we set sail for Dulce?"

"You set sail tomorrow night." Her father replied, striding out of the room, a servant by his side.

~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~

The captain of the Shadow held out his hand as his crew took the message from the bird and handed it to him.

He unfurled it quickly, and raised an eyebrow, after which a lantern was held over his head. "The Duine princess...? This won't do at all. Find out what route they're going to take. She can't reach Molasses Bay, at all costs."

"Ransom, sir?" One of his crew asked, still carrying the lantern as the captain strode towards his cabin. He stopped short. "Mm... an interesting tactic. We'll have to try that once news of this alliance have died down."

The crew-member nodded. "And... what will we do with her?"

"We can't hurt her." The captain said, the threat clear in his voice. "In any way."