Chapter 22 - High

Começar do início

I nod. "What?"

"Did you ever consider doing what she did? Trading yourself?"

If it were anyone else asking any other way, I would shoot his head off his shoulders this very second. But for some reason, I don't feel that urge now. I don't hear the judgment or mocking I would expect from him. I only hear genuine curiousity. And somewhere in there... pain. A familiar pain.

"No," I tell him honestly.

His lips part slightly for just a second.

"Do you regret that?" He asks and I think about it for a moment, but my answer remains the same.

"I was not raised to trade or barter in a war. And that's what this is with Tony." I sigh. "Besides, his goal is not a simple death. He wants my world to collapse before he tries to kill me. Trading myself does not aid that cause."

"And is he succeeding?" He asks, the frown on his face so rare that it looks like it doesn't belong on him.

I don't know the answer, though.

Well, I do. I just don't want to think about it.

"By not engaging, it gives him less power. He wants me to react. The second I do, he kills her."

"That's why you called me," he says out loud, but I suspect it was more of an internal thought or realization.

"I don't trust people, Ace. Not easily," I admit. "But she trusts you and I trust her. So don't mess this up."

His mouth opens to reply, but his head tilts toward the sound of the front door opening behind me.

"Enzo!" Anthony yells and I turn instantly. I have never heard this tone before.

Chills run down my spine as I see the words in his eyes before I hear them out loud.

"He has Leo."

"Your brother?" Ace asks somewhere over the ringing in my ears.

Anthony stares into my eyes.

"He's not answering. He missed his check in. Eva called in tears that he missed the birth."

He missed the birth.

Nothing could have kept him from that birth.

Nothing.

That only means one thing.

Anthony's right.

"Ace," I snap to him, turning. "Find my brother. Find him and you find her. Get me a location by tomorrow and we end this."

I stare out into the yard, but all I see is red.

"Once and for all."

- - -

[Leo's POV]

The chill from the crack in the barn door runs over me. Instead of shivering, I just grow more enraged.

Three years.

Three fucking years.

And now I'm handtied to a barn post in the middle of buttfuck nowhere.

The door opens inwards and Tony walks in, smirking down at me with his ugly fucking face.

"You didn't think I would let you leave after seeing her, did you?" He asks, almost laughing.

My teeth clench as I try and fail to get out of the rope again.

Tony steps forward. Two guards stand behind, eyeing me. Two guards I was close with until three days ago. Now they look at me like a stranger.

"I knew you would run right back to your dear brother," Tony sneers.

"I have been your mole for three years and this is how you repay me?" I scream up at him. "Let me go, Tony, or-"

"-or what?" He finishes, raising his eyebrows. "What would you do to me, Leo? You couldn't hurt a fly, let alone turn on your brother. I knew this whole time. I let you think I bought your sob story of 'being second choice', 'never good enough', 'not trusted', on and on. Give me a fucking break."

"I will kill you for this," I warn him, leaning forward.

He smiles. "No, you won't. Although, your brother may try. He was always the one with the balls."

I take deep breaths, trying to refocus. Trying not to let him rile me up. That's what he wants. That's what feeds him.

"What's your goal here, Tony?" I ask him. "I told you. Enzo doesn't give a shit about me. Stashing me here does nothing but piss me off."

"There is only one thing that matters to him. Family." He squats a foot away. "Even if anything you said was true, he would still come for you."

"Did he come for his wife?" I throw back at him and his jaw tenses. "He loves her a whole lot more than me."

"He needed some encouragement, I guess," he says, standing.

The look in his eye makes me gulp.

Eva's face pops into my mind, so sweet and beautiful, almost like a hug.

I stare up at him. "You blindfolded me. I have no idea where she is. I'm not telling him shit."

He waves me off and turns to leave before looking back at me with an excited psychotic grin.

"When I kill both of you in front of him, he will finally get what he deserves. He has lived up on his high horse for far too long. I can't wait to see him on his knees, grovelling."

He clearly doesn't know my brother.

"He won't," I tell him, smirking. "He would stab himself in the eyes before kneeling and looking up at you."

"We will see," he mumbles and walks out, the guards following.

We will see.

My time here has come to an end. I'm going to get the fuck out of here, kill every Cillamoni bitch I see, get Cat, and get the fuck home to my girl and her belly.

Author's Note:

This went much longer than I expected so I will save Cat's POV for the next chapter!

Hope you enjoyed Leo's POV!! I felt like it made sense to do a little now, maybe I'll do more later.

Thank you for reading!! So close to 200K on Book 1 - I can't believe it!! Thank you all so much!