Chapter 22 - High

[Enzo's POV]

"Acey!"

"Hey, buddy," he says gently as Stef hugs his leg.

He looks up to Ace. "Mama?"

I watch as Ace freezes, his mouth opening but no words coming out. I step forward.

"Not today, but soon."

"She work with Acey," Stef says, scrunching up his little face, not understanding the mess of the world he was born into.

This time, it's me that freezes.

Ace kneels down. "I can't stay long, buddy. Just wanted to say hi."

Stef stares at him longer than a beat, then turns back to his toys on the far side of the room, surprising us both. He sits back down silently at his small table, picking up the black toy car he had been playing with when we came in. My chest sinks as he stares at the car, his frown deepening.

"Daria is coming to play soon, son," I tell him, but he doesn't react.

Ace stands back up and follows me to the door.

"Bye, buddy," Ace calls but we are met with silence again.

Once the door shuts behind us and Zach and David move back into position outside it, I lead Ace down the hall and back downstairs.

"He misses her," I tell him. "I told him you were working together and would both be back soon. I guess that was my bad."

"You didn't foresee me being here without her, I understand. I am in her camp, not yours."

I shake my head. "When she is back, it will be our camp. We have spent too long living separate lives and organizations. We survive and thrive better as one."

Ace clears his throat lightly. "Is that her wish as well?"

I shoot him a cold look as we step outside the front doors. I wave off the guards to speak privately.

When they are out of earshot, I turn back to him. He's wearing black sunglasses now.

"If I died tomorrow, everything I have would go to her," I tell him. "This house. The business. Everything. That is my wish because she is my wife and more so because she's smart enough to handle it all."

I sigh and run my hand through my hair.

"I don't want to own what is hers, Ace. I have enough. Look around you." I wave back to the house behind me. He nods once. "I want to unite our forces to appear and be stronger. I want to avoid this ever happening again."

He waits a beat before replying. Almost like he's picking his words carefully.

"I mean no disrespect, Enzo, I just do not think that she wants a co-leader," he says and my teeth grit. "Nor do we want one," he adds.

"But that is for you both to figure out once we get her home," he says after a moment and turns toward his car.

"Tell me if you find any leads," I call out.

He turns and nods at the front of the hood.

"I don't want Sebastian to know yet," I tell him, taking a few steps closer.

He smirks, a half laugh coming out.

"I would hope you know that I don't have a habit of sharing information, Enzo. I don't report to him."

"I'm sure he would say otherwise," I remind him and he chuckles again before turning completely serious.

"Can I ask you something?"