Chapter 40 - Trying

Sunday comes a few days later. I wake up early and get ready in my room to sneak down to cook.

But when I make it to the kitchen, I am stopped in my tracks as a grinning Enzo is already by the stove, laughing with Stefano in the chair across the island. Enzo's eyes slowly lift and meet mine.

I take a deep breath, not looking away. I even smile.

I've been trying. This is trying. Every day it is a little easier. Sometimes so easy that I force myself to remember so I cannot forget why I couldn't look at him in the first place.

But today is Family Sunday. Today means something to our family. I will not remember today. For them, I will not.

Stef turns to see what Enzo is staring at and smiles wide. "Mama, look what Daddy made!"

I step forward to the island and assess his plate. A pancake with blueberry eyes and a bacon strip smile looks up to me. I can't help but smile.

"He's silly," I look to Stef and ruffle his hair before kissing the top of his head. "Just like you."

"I made one for you, too," Enzo says and slides another plate across the island to me. I look to him for one moment before checking the plate.

A pancake with eyes and a smile fully from blueberries. Because I don't eat bacon anymore. And he remembered.

"It's perfect," I tell him and he smiles softly.

Stef gets off his chair carefully and takes his plate from the edge of the counter to go to the table. I walk around the island to get a glass of water.

"Where is Daria?" I ask Enzo quietly. "And Anthony?"

"They went to a store."

They? "Together?"

"Yes," Enzo says in a way that makes me look at him. My eyes widen.

"That's new," I mumbled, trying to contain my smile as I took a sip.

Was it new, though? Or did we just not pay enough attention? No. Just me. Did I not?

"I don't think they want to discuss it yet."

I nod and follow Enzo to the table. "Gotcha."

Enzo sets our plates down on either side of Stef at the head of table and we sit down.

"Stef, manners, please," he scolds our rude boy already chowing down on his bacon with his hands.

I hide my smile and pass him a napkin from the holder with a look.

"Yes, Mama," he says sheepishly, taking the napkin and setting down his bacon.

Enzo cuts up his pancake into squares as I do the same for my own. Stef waits the entire time in silence, not pushing his luck. I almost laugh as his big desperate eyes watching each cut.

Enzo finishes and sits back in his own chair. He looks to me, a slight tug on his upper lip on the right side. I know that look. I get to put him out of his misery.

"Alright, go ahead," I tell him and he rushes to pick up his fork with a huge grin.

"Good job, Daddy!" Stef gleams with his mouth full of pancake.

I smile at our boy as I take my own bite and turn my gaze on Enzo.

"Good job, Daddy."

His eyes are soft and warm. The eyes I fell in love with. The eyes that made me tell him to ask me again to marry him.

"Learn from the best," he says softly. I think my heart skips a beat. Can it do that?

"So what would you like to do today?" I ask Stef, to think about anything else but Enzo looking at me like that.