Chapter Sixteen

The large windows brighten the inside of the diner while the conversations of other patrons echo off the walls. Scott and I share the bench on one side of the booth as Steve and Natasha share the other, Banner seated at the end of our table.

He's not the same Banner I remember him to be. Instead, he's somehow found a balance between his two personas, Dr. Bruce Banner, and the Hulk.

"Come on, I feel like I'm the only one eating," Banner says, pushing a plate toward us. "Try some of that. Have some eggs."

"I'm so confused," Scott states, voicing what we're all thinking as we take in Banner's new appearance.

"These are confusing times," Banner agrees.

"Right. No, no, that's not what I meant," Scott corrects.

Banner drops his act. "No, I get it. I'm kidding! I know. It's crazy. I'm wearing shirts now."

"Yeah!" Scott replies. "Wh—How? Why?"

"Five years ago, we got our asses beaten," Banner explains. "Except it was worse for me, because I lost twice. First, Hulk lost, then Banner lost. Then, we all lost."

"No one blames you, Bruce," Natasha assures him.

"I did," Banner admits. "For years, I've been treating the Hulk like he's some kind of disease, something to get rid of. But then I started looking at him as the cure. Eighteen months in a gamma lab, I put the brains and the brawn together. And now look at me, best of both worlds..."

As Banner trails off, three children nervously approach our table.

"Excuse me, Mr. Hulk?" the girl asks.

"Yes?"

"Can we get a photo?"

"100%, little person. Come on, step up," Banner agrees, taking the phone from them before passing it to Scott. "You mind?"

"Oh, yeah," Scott replies, taking the picture before holding the phone out for the kids. "Do you wanna grab one with me? I'm Ant-Man." The kids awkwardly waver at the question, not sure how to reply. Scott continues, more to himself than to the group, "They're Hulk fans, they don't know Ant-Man. Nobody does."

"Wait, no, no, he feels bad," Banner tells the kids, trying to encourage them to take a picture with Scott. "No, he wants you to... he wants to... You want to take a picture with him, right?"

"Just take the goddamn phone," Scott embarrassingly requests, trying to backpedal out of the conversation he started.

The girl takes it before turning to Banner once again. "Thank you, Mr. Hulk."

"No, it's great kids," Banner replies as the kids walk away. "Thank you very much. Hulk out!"

"Bruce," Steve says, trying to get his attention.

"Listen to your mom," Banner calls after the kids. "She knows better."

"Bruce," Steve says again. "About what we were saying..."

"Right," Banner replies, finally turning back to us. "The whole time travel do-over? Guys, it's outside my area of expertise."

"Well, you pulled this off," Natasha tells him. "I remember a time when that seemed pretty impossible, too."

Back at the Compound, Banner fiddles with the control panel connected to the Quantum Tunnel built into the back of Scott's van. Steve, Natasha and I flank him on either side as Scott readies his Ant-Man suit.

"Okay, here we go," Banner says. "Time travel test number one. Scott, fire up the uh... the van thing."

Scott walks over to the van, powering up the portal.

"Breakers are set," Steve confirms. "Emergency generators are on standby."

"Good," Banner replies. "'Cause if we blow the grid, I don't wanna lose Tiny here in the 1950s."

"Excuse me?" Scott demands as Steve, Natasha, and I give Banner panicked looks.

"He's kidding," Natasha comforts before scolding Banner in a hushed tone. "You can't say things like that!"

"Just... It was a bad joke," Banner apologizes, although his tone suggests otherwise.

"You were kidding, right?" I whisper.

"I have no idea," Banner whispers back. "We're talking about time travel here. Either it's all a joke, or none of it is." Banner turns back to Scott, raising his voice as he gives him a thumbs up. "We're good! Get your helmet on, Scott. I'm gonna send you back a week, let you walk around for an hour, then bring you back in 10 seconds. Make sense?"

"Perfectly not confusing," Scott agrees.

"Good luck, Scott," Steve encourages. "You got this."

"You're right," Scott replies, a smile growing on his face. "I do, Captain America."

Banner presses a button on the panel, and Scott disappears into the Quantum Tunnel.

"On the count of three," Banner states. "3... 2... 1!"

Bruce presses another button, and a teenager pops out of the Tunnel wearing Scott's suit.

"Uh, guys?" the teen says. "This... this doesn't feel right."

"What is this?" Steve asks.

"What's going on?" I demand as Banner looks down at the control panel, fiddling with the buttons and knobs.

"Hold on," Banner replies as he begins to panic, pushing more buttons to try and fix the problem.

"That... who is that?" Natasha asks. "Is that Scott?"

"Yes, it's Scott!" Teen Scott answers.

Banner presses another button, and Teen Scott is sucked back into the machine, only to be replaced by and old man.

"Ow!" Old Scott complains. "My back!"

"What is this?" Steve demands.

"Can I get a little space here?" Banner requests.

"Yeah, yeah," Steve agrees, taking a few steps back. "Can you bring him back?"

"I'm working on it!" Banner yells, tapping the side of the control panel.

A second later, Old Scott disappears back into the machine, and a baby returns wearing the suit.

"It's a baby," Steve states.

"It's Scott," Banner replies.

"As a baby!" Steve argues.

"He'll grow," Banner reasons.

Steve loses his patience. "Bring Scott back!"

Banner motions to Natasha. "When I say kill the power, kill the power."

"Oh, my God," I mutter in disbelief as Natasha rushes over to the generator.

Banner presses a button, and Baby Scott is pulled back into the Tunnel.

"And... Kill it!" Banner orders.

Natasha pulls the level, shutting everything down, and Scott, the normal Scott, shoots out of the Tunnel as it loses power.

"Oh, thank God," Natasha breathes.

"Somebody peed my pants," Scott informs us. "But I don't know if it was 'baby' me or 'old' me... Or just 'me' me."

Banner smiles, flinging his arms out with dramatic flare. "Time travel!"

I shake my head, silently exiting the room.