Chapter Six

The officers strip us of our gear before transporting us to Berlin, where I'm forced into the back of a van and handcuffed to my seat, Sam seated to my left. His hair and beard are shaved close to his head, appearing like a shadow against his dark skin. The last time I saw him, he was a retired veteran, helping me and Steve to take down HYDRA. Now, he's a full-on Avenger.

His coffee-coloured eyes meet my own and he gives me a mischievous grin. "On you left."

I smirk and roll my eyes. I wonder how long he's been waiting to use that one.

The officers seat Steve ahead of Sam, and T'Challa ahead of Steve. The inside of the van is quiet as the convoy drives through the city, and I glance out the windows, watching the city pass by as I try to calm my nerves.

I catch sight of the military truck behind us and take a deep breath, knowing that Bucky is inside a pod in the back of that truck. Sam notices my behaviour and his brows furrow, wordlessly asking me if I'm okay. I smile, nodding before returning my gaze forward.

"So, you like cats?" Sam asks T'Challa, finally breaking the silence.

"Sam," Steve scolds.

"What?" Sam retorts. "Dude shows up dressed like a cat and you don't wanna know more?"

I snort, amused by Sam's humour.

Steve thinks for a moment before turning to T'Challa. "You're suit... it's vibranium?"

At first, it doesn't seem like T'Challa will respond, but when he does, his voice is laced with a soft accent. "The Black Panther has been the protector of Wakanda for generations. A mantle, passed from warrior to warrior. And now, because your friend murdered my father... I also wear the mantle of king. So, I ask you, as both warrior and king, how long do you think you can keep your friend safe from me?"

"For as long as it takes," I respond. The new king of Wakanda turns in his seat to look at me, and I stare at him, my face stone cold.

The convoy heads down a ramp and into an underground garage. When we stop, the officers remove our handcuffs before escorting us from the van, and I glance over my shoulder to see Bucky strapped to a chair inside the metal and glass pod. He doesn't look up.

I follow our group as we're led in the other direction, toward a silver-haired man, a blonde woman, and a handful of agents.

"Kate?" I ask, recognizing the blonde woman as my former neighbour.

"Actually... it's Sharon. Sharon Carter," she replies before introducing the grey-haired man at her side. "And this is Everett Ross, Deputy Task Force Commander."

"Carter?" I ask. "As in, Peggy Carter?"

"Yeah," Sharon answers, quickly glancing at Steve before continuing. "She was my aunt."

Understanding her meaning, I feel the tears forming in my eyes.

"I'm so sorry for your loss," I tell her. "Peggy was a good friend." Sharon nods in thanks, and I offer her a small smile before turning to Ross. "What's going to happen to Bucky?"

"Same thing that ought to happen to you," Ross replies. "Psychological evaluation and extradition."

"What about a lawyer?" Steve questions.

"Lawyer. That's funny," Ross chuckles as he turns to the agent at his side. "Get that collar on her."

The agent steps forward, producing a shock collar from his pocket, and I involuntarily take a step back as Steve and Sam step in front of me.

"You're not putting that collar on her," Steve states. "She'll cooperate without it."

"That's not a risk I can take," Ross replies.

"Trust me," Steve argues. "As long as he's here, she's not going anywhere."

"How can you be so sure?" Ross demands. "How do you know she won't use her powers to break them both out of here?"

"Do you really think she'd be standing here if she could do that?" Sam cuts in, crossing his arms.

"I'll play fair," I add, still eyeing the agent with the shock collar. "Trust me, sir, I'm right where I want to be."

"Fine," Ross reluctantly agrees. "But if she runs, I won't hesitate to lock up all three of you." A few moments later, two agents walk by, carrying our gear and Bucky's backpack. Ross turns to the agent at his side. "See their weapons are placed in lockup."

"I better not look out the window and see anybody flying around in that," Sam warns.

As Ross leads us into the building, Steve and I look back one last time, catching Bucky's eye, and I give him nod, letting him know that I'll take care of this and that everything will be okay.