Chapter Six

Monday morning, I get out of bed and put on my service uniform. Standing by my front door, suitcase in hand, I look around my apartment one last time as memories of Steve and Bucky come flooding back to me.

My apartment is small, but it's my childhood home. The old hardwood floors creak when walked on, and the faded green wallpaper is peeling in places. Growing up, we would throw the couch cushions on the floor to build forts, and Bucky would sit in the old, dark green armchair by the window just to annoy me, knowing that it's my favourite place to sit. We even pushed all the furniture out of the way a few times, so that Bucky could teach me and Steve how to defend ourselves.

The kitchen lines the far side of the room, its floor tiles yellowing with age. Bucky used to hoist himself up on the counters and laugh when Steve and I couldn't join him. The stove and refrigerator are dated, but reliable, and the cupboards were originally painted green, but they have faded to a pale, greenish grey. Across from the kitchen sits a small, well-used, wooden table and four mismatched chairs, where I've patched up plenty of Steve's injuries over the years.

"It'll all be alright," I tell myself as I turn towards the door. "We will make it through this war. We have to."

Arriving at La Guardia Airport, I notice that it's currently being used as an army airfield, with multiple fighter planes and a few passenger aircrafts lining the tarmac. I head toward the building and, seeing me in my uniform, a military officer approaches to direct me to where the other nurses are gathered, waiting to be shipped out.

Excited conversations echo through the crowd as we walk across the tarmac, but I'm too focused on my own thoughts and nerves to join in. After checking-in with the matron, I climb the steps onto the plane and store my suitcase in the overhead bin before taking my seat next to the window.

The other nurses follow suit as the pilot readies the plane for takeoff and, before I know it, we are in the air. I watch through the window as my home becomes smaller and smaller, finally disappearing from view as we reach the clouds. I take a deep breath to settle my nerves, so much has happened in such a short amount of time. Although I'm nervous and a little bit afraid, I can't shake the feeling that this was the right thing to do.

Somewhere over the ocean, I fell asleep, and the next thing I know, I'm being shaken awake by one of the other nurses, telling me that we've landed. I stand and collect my suitcase before following the others off the plane and across the tarmac to where an assembly of army trucks are waiting. We drive through the countryside for hours before we finally stop, and I see we have arrived at an Allied camp.

"Hello, ladies," a stern, older woman with greying red hair welcomes us as we climb out of the trucks. "I am Nurse Campbell. Welcome to Italy."

Italy. I'm certainly far from home now. The nerves settle in my stomach as Nurse Campbell leads us through the camp. She stops next to a couple of large tents with red crosses pinned to their roofs. Outside, a few medical trucks are parked, and men dart between them and the tents, the red cross bands around their arms identifying them as medics.

"These tents will be your hospital," Nurse Campbell informs us. "This afternoon, we will hand you your assignments based on your specialities and training."

She turns and leads us down the dirt road before stopping outside another large tent. Unlike the hospital tents, which were dark and closed off, this one is bright and open. The entrance, as well as some of its walls, have been rolled and tied out of the way to allow the warm sunlight to enter. Through the openings, I see many people gathered around the long tables, eating and socializing.

"This is the mess hall," Campbell says. "You will have all your meals here. It is also one of the only places to socialize in camp."

Again, she leads us further down the road. We pass many tents that I assume are for administration use and the officers' quarters. Finally, we reach a large collection of smaller tents positioned on either side of the road. Narrow paths have formed between each of them by the continuous passage of feet.

"These are the nurses' barracks," Campbell states, gesturing to the right side of the road. "There will be four to a bunk. On the other side," she gestures to the left side, "are the soldiers' barracks. You are not allowed to enter their bunks, nor are they allowed to enter yours. You are here to work, not to fraternize with the men. Have I made myself clear?"

"Yes, ma'am!" We all say in unison.

"Good," she replies. "You are dismissed to your duties. I expect to see you all in the hospital tent at 13:00."

I head to my tent to settle in, finding three other nurses inside when I enter. Like me, Marie and Evelyn are from Brooklyn. While Marie has strong, dark features, her hair the colour of a raven's wing and her eyes the colour of toffee, Evelyn's features are softer, with pale skin, mousy brown hair, and pale blue eyes. In a way, she reminds me of Steve, small, but ready to do whatever necessary. Georgia, on the other hand, comes all the way from Texas. Her olive-toned skin balanced out with her sunny blonde hair and emerald-green eyes.

Our tent is small, with a cot and trunk set up in each corner. Marie and Evelyn's bunks are at the far end of the tent, while mine and Georgia's are positioned on either side of the entrance. After unpacking my suitcase and putting my few belongings in the trunk at the foot of my cot, I decide to get my bearings by wandering around the camp.

I hear a voice call my name as I walk past the mess hall and turn towards the sound to see a familiar man exiting the tent and rushing toward me.

"Bucky?!" I shout, running to my friend and jumping into his arms. Of all the places I could've been sent to, somehow, we were brought together.

His eyes are wide in shock, surprised to see me on the frontlines, but he embraces me tightly. When he pulls away, he holds me by my arms in front of him, afraid I might disappear once he lets go.

"What are you doing here?!" he asks, voice a mixture of pleasant surprise and something else... fear?

"I joined the Nurse Corps," I tell him. "If you and Steve can join the fight, so can I."