Chapter Thirteen

"Come on!" Steve shouts, running past with Wanda, Barton, and Lang.

We take off after them, quickly falling into step as we make our way toward Hanger 5, where the quinjet is waiting. However, before we can make it more than a few meters, a beam of yellow light cuts across our path, stopping us in our tracks.

I look up to see a reddish-purple man floating in the sky, the beam of light disappearing into the yellow stone in his forehead. Steve's description of this man, Vision, was exact. Although he looks human, Vision is actually a synthezoid made out of vibranium, and he wears a slate-grey suit and a yellow cape.

"Captain Rogers," Vision addresses. "I know you believe what you're doing is right. But for the collective good, you must surrender now."

Vision lowers himself to the ground as Tony's team flank him on either side.

"What do we do, Cap?" Sam asks.

"We fight," Steve responds, marching forward. The rest of us follow his lead.

"This is gonna end well," Natasha mutters as her team begins marching as well.

As the two sides approach each other, I glace from face to face, each one with the look of determination etched into their features. Steve picks up the pace to a light jog.

"They're not stopping," Spiderman states.

"Neither are we," Tony responds.

We break into a sprint as the fliers take off, and the two teams collide in a flurry of weapons and fists, each of us taking on our own opponent. I stay close to Bucky's side as Black Panther launches himself at him, tackling him to the ground. I use my powers to yank Black Panther off of Bucky, tossing him aside as Bucky gets back on his feet. Black Panther charges again, attempting to slash us with his claws, but Bucky blocks the attack with his metal arm as I launch bolts of energy at Black Panther, forcing him down once more.

Realizing that he'll have to get through me if he wants to get to Bucky, Black Panther jumps back up and charges, dodging around my attacks as he draws closer. He grabs my wrist, whipping me around his body before sweeping my legs out from beneath me and kicking me into a stack of nearby cargo. I feel the air leave my lungs as I smack into it.

Black Panther spins on his toes as Bucky punches him, and he hits the ground, instantly jumping back up to face Bucky. He gets a hand around Bucky's throats as Bucky gets his metal hand around Black Panther's, and the two men stumble back and forth, kicking each other and refusing to let go.

"I didn't kill your father," Bucky states.

"Then why did you run?" Black Panther demands.

Black Panther rips Bucky's hand from his throat as Bucky breaks the grip on his own, punching at him again and again. Black Panther catches Bucky's wrist, flipping him over before kicking him into the cargo, where he lands on the ground next to me. Black Panther's claws pop out of his fingertips as he goes in for the kill.

"NO!" I shout, using my abilities to stop Black Panther's claws mere centimeters from Bucky's throat. I glare at Black Panther as I slowly stand. "He ran because you didn't give him a fucking choice!" I launch Black Panther though a nearby boarding bridge before turning back to Bucky. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah," he replies. "Thanks to you. Come on, we need to go."

Bucky leads the way as we make our way back into the fight, where we find Steve hiding behind a flight of boarding stairs. Bucky and I duck behind the cargo truck beside him.

"We gotta go," Bucky urges. "That guy's probably in Siberia by now."

"We gotta draw out the fliers," Steve responds, glancing around the battlefield. "I'll take Vision. You two get to the jet."

"No, all three of you get to the jet!" Sam orders as our team joins the conversation through the communicators. "The rest of us aren't getting out of here."

"As much as I hate to admit it," Barton agrees, "if we're gonna win this one, some of us might have to lose it."

"They're right," I tell Steve, peering around the cargo truck to see where everyone else is. "This isn't the real fight, Steve."

"Alright," Steve reluctantly agrees. "Sam, what's the play?"

"We need a diversion," Sam informs. "Something big."

"I got something kind of big," Lang announces. "But I can't hold it very long. On my signal, run like hell. And if I tear myself in half... don't come back for me."

Bucky shakes his head. "He's gonna tear himself in half?"

"God, I hope not," I mumble under my breath.

"You're sure about this, Scott?" Steve questions.

"I do it all the time," Lang responds. "I mean once... in a lab. Then I passed out. I'm the boss. I'm the boss. I'm the boss. I'm the boss!"

Lang's chanting stops, and a moment later, ant-sized Scott Lang grows to a colossal size and grabs the leg of Rhodes' War Machine suit as he passes, keeping him from flying away.

"Holy shit!" I shout, completely in awe.

"I guess that's the signal," Steve states as we step out from behind cover.

"Way to go, Tic-Tac!" Sam cheers through the earpieces.

Lang tosses Rhodes away, but before Tony can fly after him, Sam flies in and kicks Tony in the wrong direction. With the rest of the opposing team distracted, Steve, Bucky, and I make our escape toward the hanger.

"You wanna get to them... you gotta go through me," Lang's voice booms, and I glance back to see that Black Panther is trying to pursue us.

We ignore the fight behind us as we continue running toward the hanger, but as we approach it, a beam of light cuts through the nearby control tower. We slow our pace as it begins to collapse over the entrance, but a pulse of red energy catches the crumbling building, keeping our path clear.

Steve and I steal a glance back to thank Wanda before picking up our pace. However, as we're about to run under the tower, something breaks Wanda's concentration, the debris begins to fall down around us. I grab the arms of my two best friends and will my powers forward, teleporting us safely to the other side of the rubble. Our feet hit the ground as my body folds in half, resting my hands on my thighs in exhaustion.

"You're not gonna stop," Natasha states, stepping out from the shadows beneath the quinjet.

"You know I can't," Steve reasons.

Natasha sighs, pointing her gauntlet in our direction. "I'm gonna regret this."

She fires a taser disk, but it zooms past us, hitting Black Panther, who managed to sneak in behind us.

"Go," Natasha orders, stunning Black Panther with another disk.

We scramble aboard the quinjet, and Steve slides into the pilot seat as I take the one beside him, Bucky strapping himself into the seat behind us. I fire the guns at the debris, clearing the way for Steve to get us into the air, flying us out of the hanger and into the sky.