Chapter Five

The next few days pass by in a blur as I throw myself into my work, trying to keep myself distracted from my thoughts. My best friends since childhood, the only two people I have left, are off fighting in a war while I'm stuck here, worrying for their safety. Being a nurse is important, but I wish there were a way for me to do more to help the war effort.

On Friday, the nurses are asked to meet in the reception area. When we arrive, we see the hospital administrator, Dr. Hammond, standing in front of the nurses' station with a slim woman at his side, and we file in, forming a half circle around them. A buzz of excitement fills the room, it's rare for us to gather like this.

"Ladies, this is Ms. Reid," Dr. Hammond addresses us, gesturing to the woman beside him. "Please give her your full attention."

"Good afternoon, ladies," Ms. Reid greets. "I'm here on behalf of the US Army Nurse Corps. Europe is in need of more help. If you would like to volunteer, please step forward so I can give you this form to fill out."

I'm struck by sudden inspiration. If Bucky and Steve can go off to fight, this is how I can make myself useful. I step forward and receive a form from Ms. Reid. A few of my colleagues join me as I find an empty seat among the waiting room chairs and begin filling in the blank form with my information, balancing my clipboard on my knee. After ticking all the boxes that apply to me, I hand the form back to Ms. Reid, and she looks it over with a nod of approval before filling out the back of a small card and handing it to me.

"Go to this address tomorrow morning," she tells me, pointing to where the address is listed on the card. "They will fit you with a uniform and give you the rest of the information."

"Thank you, ma'am," I reply, sliding the card into my pocket.

The exterior of the recruitment center is unassuming with its brick walls, like every other office building on the block. However, after walking through the front doors, I see that the interior is nowhere near as plain. The lobby resembles that of a doctor's office, with a reception desk and a hallway full of closed doors, but it also has many framed recruitment posters lining the walls on either side of the desk.

"Good morning, dear," a plump nurse says from behind the counter. "How can I help you today?"

"Good morning," I reply, handing her the card. "I was told to come here to collect my uniform."

She reads both sides. "Ah, joining the Nurse Corps, I see. Well, you'd better come along with me."

I follow the nurse as she leads me down the hall and into a small room toward the back of the building. It looks like it would've been a medical room where patients would come for checkups. The white walls make the room feel cold, but clean, and a floor-to-ceiling cupboard sits in the far-right corner, with a full-length mirror positioned beside it. On the other side of the room, a dressing screen is set up in the corner.

The nurse administers a quick physical examination before taking my measurements. She walks over to the cupboard and begins pulling out articles of clothing, holding them up to my body to compare the sizes.

"You'll receive two uniforms today," she explains, holding a jacket up next to my torso, "Your service uniform, and your hospital uniform. Why don't you try these on?"

She hands me the first uniform and gestures to the dressing screen. I step behind it and pull on the service uniform. It consists of an olive-green service jacket, skirt, and cap, a kaki shirt and tie, and a pair of brown, low-heeled shoes.

"Well, don't you look lovely," the nurse says as I come out from behind the screen to stand in front of the mirror.

"Thank you," I reply, taking in my reflection as I slowly turn left and right to see every angle.

She's right, the uniform suits me wonderfully. The jacket hugs my curves, and the dark green brings out the colour of my eyes. With my hair rolled, the cap on my head, and the red lipstick, I get the full effect of the uniform. I feel strong and brave, like I could do anything.

"I see you already have the Victory Red lipstick," the nurse says, "it's also a mandatory part of your service uniform. As for your hospital uniform..." she hands me an olive shirt, slacks, and a fatigue hat, "these only come in men's sizes, so they won't fit as nicely, but they will suffice for working in."

I look at the second uniform in my hands. It's not the white ward dress I was expecting, and my stomach drops as I realize that it's a field uniform, a more practical uniform for combat nurses.

They're sending me to the front lines, I think to myself as I go back behind the dressing screen to change into my civilian clothes.

When I finish, the nurse hands me a pair of brown field boots and utility bag, as well as a waterproof trench coat. She helps me pack the clothing into a parcel before leading me back to the reception area.

"The next group of ladies will be set to leave for Europe on Monday," the nurse tells me. "You are to report to La Guardia Airport at 09:00 wearing your service uniform with whatever you're taking with you."

"Yes, ma'am," I reply, tucking the package of clothing under my arm. "Thank you for all your help."

"It was my pleasure, dear. Welcome to the Nurse Corps."