Chapter Three

Our dates wait outside as Bucky and I enter the building. The lobby is filled with people, both old and young. Propaganda line the yellow wall, trying to convince young men to enlist. Near the entrance, there is a display that uses mirrors and lights to project the viewer's face onto an image of a soldier, and we find Steve standing on its platform. However, Steve is half a foot too short for it to work properly, and only the top half of his face appears in the reflection.

"Come on," Bucky say, nudging Steve's shoulder and pushing him off the platform. "You're kinda missing the point of a triple date. We're taking the girls dancing."

"You go ahead," Steve replies. "I'll catch up with you."

"You're really gonna do this again?" I ask him, reading between the lines.

"Well, it's a fair," Steve replies with a shrug. "I'm gonna try my luck."

"As who?" Bucky demands. "Steve from Ohio? They'll catch you. Or worse, they'll actually take you."

"You two really going to do this here?" I ask them.

Since Steve's first enlistment rejection, these two have never been able to see eye to eye about Steve's need to join the army. Steve desperately wants to fight because he believes that it's the right thing to do, but Bucky is worried about Steve's safety. I know Bucky just wants to protect him, but by trying to convince Steve to stay behind, he's making him feel useless.

"Look, I know you don't think I can do this," Steve tells Bucky, ignoring my question.

"This isn't a back alley, Steve," Bucky reasons. "It's war!"

"I know it's a war," Steve assures him. "You don't have to tell me."

"Why are you so keen to fight?" Bucky demands. "There are so many important jobs."

"What am I gonna do? Collect scrap metal in my little red wagon?"

"Yes!"

"I'm not gonna sit in a factory, Bucky. Bucky, come on! There are men laying down their lives. I got no right to do any less than them. That's what you don't understand. This isn't about me."

"Right. 'Cause you got nothing to prove," Bucky states accusingly, ending the argument.

The two are silent for a moment, the only sound coming from groups of excited people as they rush past us.

"Hey, Sarge!" Connie shouts from outside. "Are we going dancing?"

"Yes, we are," Bucky replies with enthusiasm before turning back to me, a twinkle in his eye. "You coming, Y/n?"

"Nah, I think I'm going to head home. I have work in the morning. Besides, it looks like my date is more interested in Steve's date," I nod toward the group outside. Bucky turns to see Chester and Bonnie standing close, deep in conversation. "Have a good time though, Buck."

Bucky gives me an apologetic smile before pulling me into his arms, hugging me tightly. "Look out for each other."

"We will," I reassure him. "We'll be here to welcome you home, Sergeant Barnes. So, you better come back to us."

"Yes, ma'am," Bucky mock salutes before turning to Steve. "Don't do anything stupid until I get back."

"How can I? You're taking all the stupid with you," Steve retorts.

"You're a punk," Bucky states as he hugs Steve goodbye.

"Jerk. Be careful," Steve replies. Bucky turns and walks toward the exit. Steve shouts after him, "Don't win the war till I get there!"

Bucky turns back and salutes us once more before returning to the group outside. We watch them walk away, hand in hand, and my chest tightens again.

Once Bucky is out of earshot, Steve turns to me. "Why didn't you tell him?"

"Tell him what?" I ask, my eyebrows furrowing.

Steve shakes his head and laughs. "Come on, Y/n! I saw the way you were looking at him, you have feelings for him."

"What?!" I laugh. "Steve, we've known him since we were kids. We grew up together, for Christ's sake! I am not in love with James Barnes."

"I never said love," Steve states, his smile growing. I roll my eyes at him, but I feel heat rising in my cheeks.

"Have a good night, Steve," I say, hugging him goodbye. "Stay out of trouble."