4: Illness

I awoke, laying flat on a medical berth in Shockwave's lab, the sound of a sparkrate monitor quietly beeping in my audials. I then heard the sound of Shockwave speaking to someone.

"His condition is unstable Knockout. Performing such an operation is illogical." Shockwave said.

"Well, your treatments aren't slowing the Cryosis! He's at stage 3, and it's causing his systems to crash. If he reaches stage 4, his armor will become as soft as lead and... then his lights will go out. Open spark surgery may be his best chance at survival." Knockout said. I shifted nervously on the medical berth, altering the two mechs. "Well, good morning, big guy. You gave us quite a scare." Knockout said as he approached me. I snorted in fatigued amusement at him.

"I'll live. For now." I muttered, slowly sitting up and pulling the sensors off of me.

"Y/D, it would be logical for you to rest here. I am having your berth brought to the lab so I can monitor your condition." Shockwave said.

"I still think he should undergo the surgery." Knockout said.

"I do not want it." I said sternly, standing up and towering over the now frightened medic. "I do not trust your judgment on my condition, although your reasoning is valid. Shockwave is in charge of my treatments, and thus, he will decide the best course of action."

"I... understand." Knockout said nervously. I watch as the medic left and several vehicons enter with the collapsed berth. They were quick to set it up in the corner and then quickly left. I then went to the berth and curled up comfortably on it.

"Y/D, I assume you heard what Knockout said about your current status." Shockwave said as he pulled up a seat and sat next to my berth. "The Cryosis has been progressing rapidly through your systems. I will have to increase your treatment dose and strongly urge you to avoid strenuous activity or stress and for you to stay near me so I may monitor any potential symptoms."

"I'm old Shockwave, not stupid." I muttered, a tired sigh leaving me. "But I shall comply. Is Predaking okay?"

"He will be fine Y/D. He seemed worried when your system crashed and kept whining when we brought you inside."

"Predacons are sensitive to such things. It's what makes them apex hunters." I said, my helm resting against my arms like a feline.

"You have a grasp of Predacon behavior, yet you've never told me why."

"As I said when we first met Shockwave, it is better that you don't know. The only answer I can provide at this point in time is that I know how Predacons behave because I was alive before the Great Cataclysm." I said. Shockwave seemed to accept this answer and went to his work station and grabbed a dose of my treatment. As he filled up the injection device, I couldn't help but sense something was bothering him. I gave him a curious look as he approached with the treatment, the sting of the injection device causing me to whine a little.

"It would be logical for you to rest Y/D while the treatment takes effect." He said.

"Before I do, is something bothering you?" I asked with concern.

"It's.... illogical to worry about me."

"Shockwave, you know you can tell me anything. It's the least I can do." Shockwave then paused, clearly processing my statement.

"I would like to know more about Predacon culture and history, the language you spoke to Predaking, and perhaps any stories or legends they may have had. It would be logical to add such knowledge to my research."

"Of course. I will provide several datapads of information for you containing the Old Tongue for you to study. It is similar to modern-day Cybertronian in text, but when spoken, it is more akin to several older dialects." I said, a soft sigh of fatigue hitting me. "But... I do need to rest. I've grown rather weary."

"Of course, Y/D, there is no rush." Shockwave said. I then closed my optics and went into a light recharge, keeping my audials alert in case I was needed.

I then heard the sound of light pedesteps and the doors to the lab slide open. Judging by the scent I was picking up, it was the obnoxious seeker, and I could tell something was up by the way he walked.

"Shockwave, what do you know of Y/D?" Starscream asked in a hushed voice.

"He is ancient, suffers from Stage 3 Cryosis, and is the leading expert on Predacon history, culture, and language. He is highly intelligent and has been an asset to me since he healed my injuries." Shockwave responded in a flat tone.

"Did he ever give you a reason as to why he saved you?" Starscream asked suspiciously.

"He said he didn't want to be alone." Shockwave said, a hint of sadness in his tone. "According to Y/D, he has been alone since his kin were 'consumed by a great flame.' When I pressed for details, he would avoid giving answers, saying that it was best for me not to know unless it was necessary."

"He's keeping secrets from you then?"

"No, Y/D does not keep secrets. He is willing to tell if asked the right questions, although he often is cryptic with his responses. I hypothesize this is due to the Cryosis attacking his core processing unit."

"How long does he have until he passes?"

"It is difficult to say. Y/D has been suffering from Cryosis for a long time even before I first met him. The treatment so far has proven to be somewhat promising in terms of slowing the progression of the Cryosis."

"I do hope this will not slow down any work you are given, Shockwave."

"Y/D has been a significant asset in the production of Predaking. It was his work that allowed the protoform to accelerate in growth and strength. It would be illogical to assume that Y/D is a hindrance. Why are you asking so many questions?"

"I do not trust your friend. Simple as that. He is of no use to the Decepticons aside from being an old databank."

"I would suggest you refrain from making such comments. Please leave. Now." Starscream then gave an annoyed grumble as he left, a snort of amusement leaving me. I then drifted into a deeper and dreamless recharge.