:𝐅𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

𝑻𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒄𝒐𝒏𝒕𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒔 𝑺𝑴𝑼𝑻. 

I found myself buried in those two infinities, the ocean and the sky, at once and the same time: one is a tomb; the other is a shroud

I sat back in my chair, the leather squeaking its own disapproval.

The strangest thing about drowning is how much it burns.

Lighting a cigarette I closed my eyes and inhaled, the smoke entering my body and filling it with poison...with something.

Blowing out a smoky ghost I reopened my eyes and watched the busy street buzzing with life below. The kaleidoscope of shimmering lights flicker in the distance as the starry sky sweeps over the city that never sleeps. Clouds envelop the moon so it was in its own realm of perpetual darkness.

Cars sped down the jammed roads swerving and curving their way through the thick traffic. Shops, restaurants and other small businesses were still open attracting onlookers who stopped to buy.

Kids ran idly on the sidewalk, couples walked hand in hand and others just kept to themselves pushing their way through the thick crowds.

Tapping my index against the handle of my chair I took a long drag and blew out a hazy cloud of white smoke through my nostrils, which slowly relaxes my tense muscles.

It has always been more about a relapse than it is about quitting. I have met hundreds of people who quit cigarettes every day. But do they succeed at it?

No, they just quit every day.

And without cigarettes, I would be doing heroin, on a daily basis.

Pressing the bud of the cigarette inside the ashtray the bright red light flickers out slowly turning a light gray which subsides to a darker shade.

Popping a mint into my mouth I get to my feet grabbing my phone and car key.

Clicking onto Remi's contact I sent her a quick message.

𝑆𝑒𝑛𝑑 𝑚𝑒 𝑦𝑜𝑢𝑟 𝑎𝑑𝑑𝑟𝑒𝑠𝑠.
—𝐍𝐲𝐱

𝑊ℎ𝑎𝑡 𝑓𝑜𝑟? 𝐴𝑛𝑑 ℎ𝑜𝑤 𝑑𝑖𝑑 𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑔𝑒𝑡 𝑚𝑦 𝑛𝑢𝑚𝑏𝑒𝑟 𝐼 𝑑𝑜𝑛'𝑡 𝑟𝑒𝑚𝑒𝑚𝑏𝑒𝑟 𝑔𝑖𝑣𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑖𝑡 𝑡𝑜 𝑦𝑜𝑢.
—𝐑𝐞𝐦𝐢

𝐷𝑜𝑛'𝑡 𝑤𝑜𝑟𝑟𝑦 𝑎𝑏𝑜𝑢𝑡 𝑡ℎ𝑎𝑡.
—𝐍𝐲𝐱

𝐼 𝑡ℎ𝑖𝑛𝑘 𝐼 ℎ𝑎𝑣𝑒 𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑟𝑦 𝑟𝑖𝑔ℎ𝑡 𝑡𝑜 𝑏𝑒 𝑤𝑜𝑟𝑟𝑖𝑒𝑑. 𝑊ℎ𝑦 𝑑𝑜 𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑛 𝑤𝑎𝑛𝑡 𝑚𝑦 𝑎𝑑𝑑𝑟𝑒𝑠𝑠?
—𝐑𝐞𝐦𝐢