➼ ONE

ONE:

"DEAR SANTA, THANK YOU YOU for the dolls and pencils and the fish

"DEAR SANTA, THANK YOU YOU for the dolls and pencils and the fish. It's Easter now, so I hope I didn't wake you." A young ginger-haired girl is kneeling beside her bed, eyes closed, saying her prayers. "But honest, it is an emergency. There's a crack in my wall." She gulps turning to wall where there is a crack spreading across it. Returns to prayer. "Aunt Sharon says it's just an ordinary crack, but... I know it's not, because, at night, there's voices. So please, please, could you send someone to fix it? Or a policeman. Or..." She trails off hearing a crash and glass breaking.

The young girl turns her head towards the window. She turns eyes to the floor and nudges her friend sleeping on the floor. "Sam, wake up." The young girl says.

"Ugh, what time is it?" Sam quizzes her friend.

"I dunno but there was a loud crash outside." The ginger haired girl says causing her blonde friend to rush over to the window. "Back in a moment." The girl mumbles.

She gets up from the floor, picks up a torch from the nightstand, runs to the window and pulls back the curtain to look outside. A wooden blue box has materialized on his side and knocked down part of the shed. There is smoke rising from it.

"Thank you, Santa." The girl smiles looking up at the sky.

The two girls steps outside. The ginger haired wearing a red jacket and matching wellies, whilst her friend is wearing blue jacket and a pair of trainers. Making their way to where the box has crashed.

They jump back as the doors suddenly open at the top and a rope with a grappling hook is thrown out. It latches onto a lawn roller. The girl watches as first one hand then the other come over the edge followed by a strange man's head.

"Can I have an apple? All I can think about - apples. I love apples. Maybe I'm having a craving. That's new - never had cravings before." He says as he straddles the box and looks back inside. "Whoa! Look at that!" He chuckles.

"Are you OK?" The blonde asks the man.

The man puts both legs over the side, sitting on the edge. "Just had a fall. All the way down there, right to the library. Hell of a climb back up." The man states.

"You're soaking wet." The ginger haired girl notes.

"I was in the swimming pool." The man replies.

"You said you were in the library." The ginger states baffled by the man's respond.

"So was the swimming pool." He tells them.