➼ NINE

NINE

The Doctor climbs down a rope ladder and joins Octavian at the bottom

The Doctor climbs down a rope ladder and joins Octavian at the bottom. They both turn on their torches and look around. Amy and River join them and the other soldiers.

Sam is the last down the ladder, she lets out a squeal as she slips a bit. River and Amy rush to hold the ladder still as Sam continues to climb down.

Letting out a breath of relief, Sam takes the torch that River is offering her. "Do we have a gravity globe?" The Doctor questions the Bishop.

"Grav globe." Octavian orders. One of the soldiers takes out a sphere from his pack and hands it to Octavian.

"Where are we?" Sam asks.

"What is this?" Amy then asks.

"It's an Aplan mortarium. Sometimes called a maze of the dead." River responds.

"And what's that?" Sam questions the woman.

"Well, if you happen to be a creature of living stone..." the Doctor begins kicks the gravity sphere like a football and it rises into the air, stops and then lights up the cave showing a large number of stone statues. "the perfect hiding place." He finishes.

"I guess this makes it a bit trickier." Octavian realises.

"A bit, yeah." The Doctor answers.

"A stone angel on the loose amongst stone statues. A lot harder than I'd prayed for." Octavian retorts.

"A needle in a haystack." River adds.
"A needle that looks like hay. A hay-like needle. Of death. A hay-alike needle of death in a haystack of, er, statues. No, yours was fine." The Doctor says as he looks at the group behind him.

"Right. Check every single statue in this chamber. You know what you're looking for. Complete visual inspection. One question - how do we fight it?" Octavian questions him.

"We find it, and hope." The Doctor goes off with Amy and Sam following him.

The Doctor shines his torch in every direction. Amy and Sam continue to follow him, but Amy stops and looks at the many levels above them and all the statues lining the way.

Amy, feeling irritation in her eyes, rubs the corner of one of them with a finger and finds a little grit. She then uses her full hand and sand and grit comes out through her fingers.

Scared, she stops and looks at her hand but sees nothing. River comes up beside her. "You all right?" The woman asks her.

"Yeah, I'm fine. So, what's a maze of the dead?" Amy then asks.

"Oh, it's not as bad as it sounds. It's just a labyrinth with dead people buried in the walls. OK, that was fairly bad. Right give me your arm." River says as she shows Amy the syringe. "This won't hurt a bit." River then gives Amy a shot.