Ch. 15

3 weeks later...

It feels like summer with the heat, and it's also the rainy season.

I'm working with the young females and teaching them everything I know. They seem so enthusiastic about making friends with each other and developing skills. I even show them how to take care of their future young with my own.

"Are they always this small?" A young Tigress asks.

I smile "Not always, it depends on who your spouse is. For example, Kali and Lyra were bigger than this when they were born." I put them back in their basket to sleep.

"They're so cute! I hope mine are as cute as yours one day!"

"Yeah if you want to mate with Ferals." A young girl in the corner crosses her arms. Her jet-black hair covers one of her dark eyes. She walks towards our group, almost like a shadow.

"And what's your name?" I ask.

"Junko."

"Well Junko, if you must know: not all Ferals are bad. For example, my Fox spouse Comac is super sweet and helpful. He loves to forage for fruit and my children love him."

She huffs. "Well if a Feral were to ever come near me, I'd have them killed on the spot." She walks back to the corner.

"I'm sorry you feel that way."

"Don't worry about her too much." One of the girls whispers to me. "Her father was eaten by a Feral Snake. So she hates all Ferals."

"I see." I hope one day she'll change her mind.

I send the girls home soon after and wait for Comac to return home.

"Fae!" Comac comes through the door with a large basket of fruit. "How was your teaching today?"

"It was alright. One of the girls doesn't seem to like me very much."

"What? There's no way that's true. What's not to like?" He winks at me.

I giggle and pat the ground beside me. "Sit, we need to name our children."

He folds the basket and rushes over to me. "Are they boys? Girls? Both?"

"How can they be both?" I ask laughing.

"Sorry, I'm just excited." He kisses my cheek.

I pick up the first of the three pups. Their fur is soft and all-black, just like their dad's. "This one is a girl." I hand her to him. When he lifts her, she whines and then it turns into a cry.

He holds her close and soothes her. "It's alright, it's just your dad."

Once she stops crying he looks at me. "What should her name be?"

I think for a moment. "I'm not sure, if you want to name them, go ahead."

"Are you sure?" He asks.

I nod. "It's alright, let's rebuild the Fox clan from the ground up, together."

His eyes sparkle. "You mean it?"

I nod. "Name your successors."

He looks back at his daughter. "Your name is Mara, welcome home."

She yawns and just stares at him.

I pick up the second one. "We have a boy." I hold him close and kiss his forehead.

"We'll call him Setsumi. My bravest son, I will teach you the ways of the Clan." I place him in Comacs' lap. He tries to climb up his chest.

Comac picks him up. "What's the matter little one?"

Setsumi bites his wrist.

Unphased Comac smirks " You have some fight in you, you'll need it in the future." He puts him next to his sister.

They start to play, with Setsumi tackling his sister.

The last fox pup runs up to me and jumps in my lap.

I pick it up and kiss its forehead. "Let's see." I see Comac out of the corner of my eye.

He's crossing his fingers.

I smile. "It's another girl!"

"No way!" He gasps and grabs all three of them. He holds them tight in excitement.

"We have, Mama, Setsumi, and Mai! My beautiful children! I've never been so happy in my life!"

I watch him play with the pups for a while.

He turns to me and gives me a hug.

"There's nothing in this world that can describe how grateful I am, thank you."

I wrap my arms around him. "There's no need to thank me. You've done so much, the least I could do is this."

He kisses me passionately. " You did a amazing job. I'm surprised that none of them look like you." His eyes saddened a bit.

"Maybe one of them will have my personality" I pat him on the head.

"Maybe. Hey, why don't you get some rest and I'll make you some food."

"Are you sure? I don't mind"

"It's fine" He puts the pups back in their basket. " If you get restless we can make it together."

"Alright," I say

I wake up to Arkell coming through the front door growling. I look around and everyone else is still sleeping. I sneak through and find him in the main room. "Is everything alright Arkell?"

He looks up surprised. "I'm sorry if I woke you."

"It's alright." I sit next to him as he starts a small fire. "What's up?"

He sighs" The Hyena King and the Bear King are still at each other's throat. I'm not sure of what to do about it."

I raise an eyebrow. "Is the Bear King still upset about the comment?"

He nods "They won't take anything each other say seriously. We can't even discuss the problems the city has been having without those two bickering."

I can see the stress on his face. But what can I do? I'm just one person. I think for a moment. "What if they fight it out?"

"A duel? That's an interesting idea, maybe if it works their differences will be settled. Where do you get these ideas?"

I hesitate. He couldn't know I'm not from this world, if he finds out, I'm dead. "Oh, I don't know. Sometimes they just pop into my head." I laugh nervously.

"I see, well let me know if you get any other ideas. We can make this world better for our future children. Now, go back to bed, you need your rest." He shoos me to the bedroom.

Once I get there I let out a breath I had been holding in. I can't believe that I was almost discovered. I can't let that happen again.