Ch. 7

The pups are now five weeks old and the girls like to play rough with their brother.
I take the roast off of the fire. "Kali, Lyra stop playing rough with your brother!"
The girls giggle and run off.
Nordan runs and hops into my lap. "Why are they so mean to me?
I sigh. "I couldn't tell you, honey. Here, have a snack. Just be careful it's hot."
He eats quietly and watches the fire with me.
Damien comes home, bringing the chilly breeze with him. "It's a little chilly out there." He says as he shuts the door.
"Winter is coming soon. I don't want snow."
He shakes his head. "It doesn't snow here, it cools down but never snows."
I sigh in relief. That tells me we are south, thank goodness.
Damien sits next to me and picks up Nordan. "How's my number one son today?" He kisses his head.
"My sisters keep picking on me."
"Have you used your bark?"
"I don't have one." He says sadly.
Damien looks over at me. "May I?"
I nod. "Go ahead, just have fun okay?"
"Of course, we won't be long."
"Okay, I'm starting dinner." I start preparing fruits to have with the meat.
They have some father-son time.
"Girls!"
They run into the room. "Yes, mamma?"
I look over and see feathers at their feet. I raise an eyebrow. "What were you doing in the chicken coop?"
"Nothing." Kali says, her tail between her legs.
"Then why do you have feathers on your paws?"
There are feathers all over the yard." Lyra chimes in, full of confidence.
"If that were true, why were you by the chickens?"
They're both silent.
"I thought so. Leave the chickens alone or, you can clean up after them for a week."
Their heads are down. "Yes, momma."
"Now, once I get this done you're getting baths." I rub my temple. These girls are so independent, must get that from Damien.
Comac comes out of his room, still rubbing his eyes. "Good morning, Fae." He stretches his arms.
"It's afternoon."
"Oh, sorry." He smiles awkwardly.
"Are you still scavenging and looking for fruit?"
He nods. "I want to help feed the family, but this time of year I don't find much."
"It's alright, can you cut up this fruit so I can give the girls a bath?" I stand up and head towards the bathhouse.
"Sure, let me know if you need help."
"Thank you." I quickly grab the girls before they can run and hide. I struggle a little bit bathing them. All they want to do is either splash each other or swim away from me. Of course, they think it's a game. I manage to dry them and take a deep breath.
"Momma?" Kali shivers.
"Yes, baby?"
"Can you warm me up? I'm cold."
I pull her close and we go to our room and snuggle for warmth.

3 months later

Lately, it seems the weather wants to get colder. Comac and I end up buying warmer clothes, and the pups are fine with their fur. Our chickens stopped producing eggs but at least we have enough food.
I sit by the fire to warm up.

"Hey, my dad wanted me to bring you this. He said it'll help you warm up." He hands me a bowl of dark red liquid.

"What is this?" I ask as I take a sip. It burns a little in my throat, and it's sweet.

"I'm not sure but he said it's made from the grapes you like."

So, it's wine. I didn't realize they could make this. "It's really good, thank you." I sigh as I hold my stomach from cramps. My cycle did start back up and Comac is excited. I told him I want to wait a while so my body can fully heal.
"I've waited this long, I can wait as long as you need me to." He kisses my forehead.

There's a knock at the door.

Comac answers it and instantly kneels to the ground. "Hello, your Majesty. It's an honor to be in your presence."

There's silence.

I walk over to find a tall bulky man wearing a feathery shawl. His hair is half brown and half white and his nails resemble talons.

"Who is it?" I ask, going to the door.

"Arkell, one of the Five Kings." His voice is deep and mature sounding.

I bow. "What brings you here, your majesty?"

"I have come to ask you to bear my children."