Ch. 5

It's been about a month since we've gotten to the castle. With the help of Damien's father, he was trained to hunt more efficiently and bring home more meat. Comac goes out most nights and gathers nuts and fruits for us.

Damien is about to put some meat on the fire for lunch and I'm smoothing out the bedding. I check on Comac and he's sleeping in another room. Suddenly I smell the worst thing that has ever crossed my nose. I run to the main room to find Damien cooking the meat he brought back. The smell is worse in here. "What is that?"

He looks at me confused. "This is just rabbit, why? What's wrong?" "That smells so awful! My stomach starts to churn I want to throw up.

Damien stands. "Are you all right? Do I need to call for a doctor?"

I hold onto the open window sill for support. "I'm going to be sick."

He picks me up and we leave the room. He runs downstairs and we bump into a young man with Tiger stripes in his hair.

"Is everything alright?" He asks. He looks at me with holding my mouth and my stomach.

"She said she was going to be sick. I came to see a doctor."

The man touches my forehead and my wrists. "Hm. Was this sudden or has your female been sick for a while?"

"It was sudden, she just came into the room and wanted to vomit. I was in the middle of cooking meat."

His face softens. "Do you still feel sick, miss?"

I take a deep breath. "No, the feeling is going away."

He smiles. "Well, that means only one thing."

Diamen stiffens. "What's that?"

"Your spouse is pregnant, Congratulations on that." He winks at Damien and walks away.

Damien blushes and we stand there in shock.

He sets me down as I caress my stomach. "I'm pregnant?"

Damien drops to his knees, in tears.

My first thought is that he wasn't happy about it at all. "Damien?"

He looks up at me and smiles. "I'm going to be a dad!"

I wrap my arms around him and we both cry tears of joy.

The next few days roll by and Damien has more energy than ever. He's been smoking a lot of meat and cooking it somewhere else so I don't get sick. Even Comac is excited, he loves kids and can't wait to teach them how to find fruits.

"How long do you think we have until the pups get here?" Comac asks, tail wagging.

"I don't know, but I'm sure it'll be soon." I started to show, my gut wants to say I'm half done.

Everyone I see in the village congratulates me and hopes at least one is a girl. It's a shame that girls are so rare in this world. Girls tend to run in the family, so who knows what we will get.

Damien and I are in the local market trading hides for seeds.

"We do you want these again?" He asks.

"So we can build a garden next spring. We can also teach our children so they'll have extra food in the Winter. I already know the boys will be great hunters like their Dad." I smile at him.

He blushes and kisses my forehead. "Let's not be out too long, we don't want your feet to hurt too much."

"I am rather capable of walking, mister." I poke his nose and he stares at me for a moment.