Ch. 12

I sigh and sit down. Still, no sign of Arkell, and no one has seen or heard from him. "Where could you have gone?"

"He might have gone to fight a Siren."

"A Siren? The mermaids that lure you to your death?" I ask.

Damien nods. "Most males are raised believing that if you fail your female, you must bring back a jewel for them to be younger and live longer. Only Sirens carry the jewels in their bodies."

"So you have to kill one to get one, right?" Tears poke at the back of my eyes.

He nods. "The worst thing about it is no one knows their weak spot. So they're very difficult to kill."

" I wish I could tell him that he didn't fail me. The cliff was an accident, no one knew it would happen."

"The rumors don't help. No one believes you have two Ferals as spouses either." He pokes at the fire.

I sigh "Let them talk, I already know that I can't mate with the shark boy."

He perks up. "Oh?"

I nod. "When female sharks get pregnant the young eat the mothers' eggs. Not to mention I could get cut by their teeth. I feel like it's really dangerous, and I don't want to lose my life giving birth."

"I didn't think of that." He stands up and holds out his hand. "Let's go for a walk, I'm sure you're tired of being pregnant already."

I take his hand. "Honestly, a little bit. I should give birth soon, I would like to use the bath again if possible."

We go outside and walk around the market.

I hear whispers here and there but at this point, I don't care.

We get some extra grain that they can turn into flour for pasta nights and found someone that can provide spices for me.

"This is lovely Damien, thank you." I take his arm as we walk back home.

As we walk up to the house I feel something hit the side of my head.

I look down and see a rock at my side. Something warm runs down next to my ear. I touch it and it's blood.

"Feral breeder!" A few children run off.

Damien tries to run after them, but I pull him back.

"Don't." I try to wipe away some of the blood.

He rushes me into the house and cleans the wound for me. He grunts in anger and constantly glares at the window.

"They're just kids, Damien."

"Children with no respect, if only they knew the whole story."

"They probably won't care."

"They should."

"Look," Comac says. "They're only mad because King Arkell is missing. We know that you're not the reason why. Just leave it be and don't leave the house for a while."

I nod warming my aching feet by the fire. "Damien?"

"Yes, my love?"

"Has any male ever been successful at killing a Siren?"

He hesitates, not wanting to say. "To my knowledge, no, no male has ever been successful."

"So, he's risking the extinction of his Clan, to make up for something that was an accident?"

"Seems like it." Comac sits by me, laying my head on his chest.

"I'm sure he'll come back, he's the strongest of his kind. We just need to give him time."