Chapter 18

The red glow from the fire changes the color of the inside of the room. On the big bed, the two young Targaryen children are fast asleep next to their mother. Her arms are wrapped around them, holding them close to her chest. It is cold tonight, an icy wind picked up late in the afternoon. A wind that cuts straight through your clothing to dig away at your skin. She informed the servants to place extra furs on all the occupied beds tonight. After coming back from Dorne and finding her uncle already here, two other bannermen also arrived with a few of their men. The walls of Winterfell are slowly being filled up and soon they will have a feast to celebrate her men and the war to come. 

Lyanna looks at the two sleeping faces next to her, feeling her heart wanting to burst with the love she has for them. This is the greatest gift Aemond could've ever given her. She decided to let their children sleep with her in the main bedroom since Aemond did not return from Riverrun yet and she assumed he will be staying there for the night. 

She feels bad for how she has treated him since she came back from the dead. Giving him all of the blame for what happened in Dorne with Cregan. But she talked with Cregan before coming to bed and he told her everything that she needed to hear.

"You were the one who decided on a betrothal?" she asked in shock, "I thought you had a friend in the Vale?"

Cregan blushed, "I wanted to make a decision that will prove to you that I am grown up and that I can also sacrifice a lot to keep you safe. Just like you do for me."

"Cregan," she sighed and placed her hand on his shoulder, "I told you to never do the things that I do. There is one thing that I have that you don't have, and that is the ability to control people's minds. That is why I make such reckless and dangerous decisions because I can easily get out of it if I need to. I want you to enjoy your childhood before it is gone. It is something me and your brothers didn't have."

"Just don't blame Aemond for it, he tried to talk me out of it and was able to postpone any dates or arrangements until you woke up." 

She nodded, "I won't blame him then. I will blame you." 

She smacked him behind the head, "Ow!" he yelled and rubbed his head, "That was unnecessary!"

"That was for doing something as stupid as that, and this-" she pulled him in for a hug, "This is because I love you so much, Little Wolf. You are the only brother I have left. Don't do anything to change that. I can't lose you too."

She is glad they had that talk and she wished that Aemond would be here tonight so she can apologize to him in a way that she knows he will enjoy. 

Lyanna stroke Rhaegar's hair while she stares into the fire. She wonders what Aemond is doing at this moment. Is he also lying in bed, wishing he could be here with her?

Talisa rolls closer to her, grabbing hold of her nightgown and rubbing it against her face. She smiles down at her. It is only tonight and then she will have him back. 

Nothing can go wrong in only one night.

But she was wrong, because Maester Arwen slowly enters her chambers, notifying Lyanna of his presence by clearing his throat. He didn't want to wake the babies by knocking. Lyanna glances over her shoulder at the approaching figure of the maester.

As slowly as she can, she loosens Talisa's grasp and rolls her towards her brother so they can hold onto each other.

"Is something wrong?" she whispers into his ear.

He nods, "Two ravens just arrived, My Lady." he looks into her eyes, "And you need to read them urgently."

She glances at her children, both unaware of what is happening around them. Maester Arwen holds out the two notes, both waxes are a different color.