Chapter 3

Elise helps Lyanna get all her things ready for the trip to King's Landing. She puts on her riding leathers, ensuring the straps and laces are done tightly. The sword that once belonged to her brother, Brandon, is lying on the bed in its sheath. Her hand trailed over the hilt of Vengeance, remembering the warm smile of her brother. She misses him dearly.

She picks up the sword and ties it to her hip. It is important to be ready for any type of welcoming in King's Landing, whether it is warm or cold.
"I know you already made up your mind," Elise says as she helps to braid Lyanna's hair, "But it is not too late to rather stay home. Send a letter to Rhaenyra."
Lyanna takes Elise's hand, "I appreciate your concern, but I feel it is best if I do it this way."

Lyanna's eyes fall on Elise's growing belly and look away quickly. She recently got married to a wonderful Northerner and is expecting their first child together. It is difficult for Lyanna to be happy for her, even though she wants to. But every time they bring up Elise's pregnancy, Lyanna can't help but think of her own, the ones who failed. Elise is also aware of Lyanna's feelings and never dares to feel ill toward her friend for not wanting to ask her about her health or anything regarding her unborn child. She understands that she is hurting.

"There," Elise says and places a hand on her shoulder, "All done."
Lyanna admires the beautiful braid before standing up, "Thank you, Elise."
They walk to the courtyard, where everyone is waiting to say their farewells to Lyanna before she leaves. Elise can't help but think that everyone is preparing for her not to return. Everyone except Aemond. The determined look on his face ensure Elise that he would fly to her rescue on his brother's dragon if needs be. She loves her husband but she envies the love that Aemond and Lyanna have.

Alicent and Helaena are the first to walk up to her.
Alicent gives her a warm hug, rubbing her hands over her arms.
"Please, be careful. Always expect that Daemon is up to something. I strongly believe that you will be able to get through to Rhaenyra, she is a reasonable person." Alicent says as she steps away, "I don't want to lose you, my Daughter."
"You won't. Seems like you all forget that I can kill all of them with only my mind."
Helaena smiles, "You will return safely. I know it."

"It will be very stupid of Daemon to want to take you on in King's Landing." Aegon adds as he steps closer, "At least you will have Vhagar with you."
Lyanna smiles and scans over the high walls of Winterfell for the enormous shape of Vhagar. The dragon finds her before she does. They lock eyes with each other and Lyanna can feel the distaste Vhagar has for her. After what Lyanna had to do at Harrenhal, she hasn't been one of Vhagar's favorite people, even if Lyanna means so much to her rider.

"I still don't understand how you think the dragon will allow you to ride her," Aegon says with a shake of his head.
Lyanna sighs, "She doesn't have much of a choice."
As if on cue, Vhagar gives a low and threatening growl. Everyone looks up at the beast staring at them.

Aemond laughs, "She knows you are riding her today. Without me."
Lyanna steps into Aemond's open arms, hugging him as hard as she can.
"If something happens," she whispers into his ear, "Make sure the twins know how much I loved them."
He gives her a disgusted look, not bothering to answer her on that statement.

They all walk with her toward where Vhagar is waiting. The old lady sees them and starts walking away but Aemond calls her back with a single High Valyrian command.
"This is going to be so much fun," Lyanna say under her breath, earning a glance from an amused Aegon who heard what she said.
"Hopefully she won't shake you off her back in mid-flight," he whispers to her.
She elbows him in the ribs, his hand going to the sore spot it created.
Aemond and Alicent look over their shoulders at the two who are laughing like children.