Forgiveness

Oliver

Sunday arrived. Conner and Jordin welcomed people into the chapel while I stood on the stage behind the podium. The family entered and found their seats.

I scanned the chapel and waited to see if Melody would come. I prayed she would. As people took their places in the pew, my family sat up front, smiled, and waved. I gave them a slight nod.

I glanced at the pews to see Matt and his family. Next was Markus and his family. Then my brows lifted in surprise as Larissa and her family entered and found a seat. What surprised me was Uncle Lex and his family entered and took a seat.

I waited and glimpsed at the front pew with a spot reserved for Melody and Demarco. I sighed when Conner and Jordin sat in the front pew with Mercedes, Bradley, Hazel, Jace, Dallas, and Braydon.

A few minutes later, the chapel doors opened. Everyone turned and saw Demarco and Melody enter. We watched as Demarco escorted Melody to the front. What astonished me was how Mel carried herself with confidence.

Demarco and Melody sat in the front pew next to Conner.

"Thank you, everyone, for joining a special Sunday service. Someone had requested that I keep services small. I agreed," I said.

Everyone nodded in agreement.

"I wanted to discuss forgiveness today. Forgiveness has been mentioned multiple times throughout the Bible. But what does forgiveness mean?"

Everyone watched me.

I stepped away from the podium. "We spend so much time thinking we forgive people when we don't. Oh, that person made a mistake. I'll forgive them, and everything will be okay. But it's not the same as forgiveness in our hearts."

I glanced at the family and noticed guilt cross their faces. Today's sermon would help so many family members. Their guilt was eating away at them.

"I thought it was best if someone who understood forgiveness spoke today." I walked over to a chair, sat down, and waited.

******
Patrick

When Oliver called me and explained the situation to me, I agreed. The only person who knew I was coming home besides Oliver was Val since he drove.

I climbed the steps as Val watched and walked onto the stage. My folks stared at me in shock as I smiled at them. Then Ma shot me a look that meant I was in trouble for not calling her. I would deal with her afterward.

"Most of you know me. Well, I hope you do," I said.

The family laughed while my folks rolled their eyes in annoyance.

"Love you, Ma and Dad," I said.

"We love you, too, Pat. Good luck with your mother," Dad said.

The family laughed again.

"Oliver called me to ask if I would speak about forgiveness and explained why. I agreed. A few know about a situation between me and a family member."

Demarco knitted his brows.

"We had a falling out because of someone else. I spent years angry with this family member when it wasn't his fault. But anger isn't a reasonable emotion. It causes you to hurt people and not listen. The truth is while my anger was justified, it was misguided. I had to learn the importance of forgiveness."

My family listened to everything I said.

"We find ourselves in unfortunate circumstances because of other people. We suffered from their actions. It's easy to be angry with the person. It's harder to forgive. But it doesn't have to be. The first step to healing is offering forgiveness. It helps you move past the hurt and betrayal."