Faith

Melody

The carnival was a rousing success, raising money for the center. After the carnival, I start working with Reverend Harper.

"Melody, you don't need to call me Reverend Harper," Reverend Harper said.

"Isn't that what I should call you?"

"It's unnecessary. Oliver will do just fine since you work for me now."

"Okay."

People entered in construction boots and thumped through the chapel.

"What's going on?" I asked.

Oliver glanced at the workers. "Owen sent a crew for my new office. I'm having my old office demolished and moved to a new location."

"Is that because of me?"

"I don't want a reminder of what you endured. You had suffered enough."

"Thank you, Oliver."

"There's no need to thank me. It's the right thing to do."

I nodded in response.

We cleaned the chapel and got it ready for Sunday services. It took everything in me to step foot in the chapel. But it was something I needed to do. My faith was everything to me.

While Oliver grabbed something, I moved a potted plant and noticed a guy with dark standing with his back to me. I descended the steps and approached him. "Can I help you?"

The guy turned around and smiled. "Nope, I was just admiring the chapel."

"Did you want to get Oliver for you?"

The guy shook his head. "That won't be necessary. You're Melody, aren't you?"

"Yes. Who are you?"

"Just someone passing by." The guy walked by me toward the front. "It's amazing, isn't it?"

"What is?"

"His beauty and grace." The guy spread his arms apart before lowering his arms and turning to me. "Did anyone ever tell you that you have a beautiful soul?"

I shook my head.

"You do. I can see the light radiate from it. Even through the darkness, your soul was like a beacon of light, calling to another soul. It's rare when you find it. But you've always had it because of your faith." The guy smiled brightly.

"I should feel scared of you, but I don't."

"That's good. I'm not here to hurt you. I just came to check on you."

"But I don't even know you."

"That's okay. You can consider me a friend. But I need to go." The guy walked by me and headed to the chapel doors.

"Wait. How do I thank you?"

The guy stopped, turned to me, and smiled. "You did by keeping the faith. Have faith, Melody. God will see you through everything."

I looked away and contemplated the stranger's message. When I looked at the chapel doors, he was gone. I shook my head, turned, and walked toward the front to finish my work.

*****
Sofie

I was checking the storage room for more activities for the kids when a tote slipped from my hand and fell to the floor, spilling its content everywhere. "Great." I kneeled and worked on the mess.

"Did you need any help?" A voice asked.

I lifted my head as a guy with dark hair and steel-grey eyes met mine. "Uh, I'm okay."