Trust

Demarco

After enduring a sexual assault in any form, you work to rebuild trust. That includes family, friends, and yourself. My therapist explained no one couldn't rush the process. It would help if you built trust gradually.

Due to my experience, I understood this concept better than anyone. It helped Mel until today.

"Are you sure you want to attend church?" I questioned.

"D, Reverend Harper assured me that the congregation would be small. I want to try."

"Are you positive?"

"Shouldn't you encourage me to try things?" Mel looked at me like I lost my head.

"Yeah, but it doesn't mean I won't ask you a billion times."

"You keep asking because you don't trust my judgment."

"That's not true."

Mel raised her brow.

I sighed. "Okay, it's partially true."

"Thanks for the reassurance."

"Angel, it's not that. I trust you. It's other people I don't trust."

"Those other people are your family." Mel arched her brow and crossed her arms.

"I'm still working on my trust issues."

"Then we can work on our trust issues together."

"That's asking a lot from me."

"You've spent more time with a therapist than me. Why is my therapy session more advanced than yours?"

"You have my grammy to help you. The woman isn't known for her undying patience."

"Your grammy has faith in me, which you lack."

"Hey, now! I have faith in you."

"Uh-huh."

"I have immense faith in you. I have so much faith in you that I will escort you to church."

Mel grinned at me. Why do I feel like I have been had?

******
Melody

I understand D's concerns. There are a million times I doubt myself or the people around me. But Larkin assured me it was normal. It didn't mean we stopped living our lives but became more cautious. We learn who to trust and who not to trust.

I didn't want Joshua to win. He already took enough from me. He didn't need to take more.

It helps when you speak to God about your situation. Most people don't understand, but I never blamed God for what happened. I sought his guidance. He brought D into my life for a reason. Isn't that what having faith means?

"Did we have our first fight?" I asked.

"No, we had our first disagreement. I prefer not to fight with you."

"Then have faith in me."

D cocked his head and crossed his arms. "We are not doing this again."

"I don't know what you mean." I shrugged innocently.

"You know what I mean. You've been spending too much time with Sofie and my family."

"You're family is sweet. And Sofie...she has her reasons."

"I don't want to know what Sofie's misguided reasons are. I'll let Odin deal with her."

"You still love me, right?"