The chess pieces

Frisco

Morgan called me because the sample results were ready. I arrived at the police station and traveled to the lab with Morgan.

"What do you get for us, Gabs?" Morgan asked.

"After running both samples through the Bertha, I discovered the molecular structure was the same with a slight difference," Gabby said.

"What's the difference?" I asked.

"The second sample had a slight dilution to it, whereas the first sample didn't."

"I don't understand."

"Follow me." Gabby hopped off her stool and waved us to follow her to a gray with two shot cups. "In both these cups, you have pop. They look the same, right?"

We nodded.

"Take a sip." She handed me a cup.

I took it and sipped it. "Okay."

"Now, take a sip of this one." She handed me the second cup.

I took a sip.

"While they look the same, they aren't."

"Because they're two different types of pops."

"Right." Gabby walked back to the computer and typed in a few commands. "Both samples have the same look and molecular compound except for one difference. The second sample has warfarin in it."

"What's that?"

"Companies use it as an ingredient in rat poison. Drug companies also use it in prescription medicine."

"Wait. Are you saying legal prescriptions have a harmful ingredient in them?"

"Yes, and it's legal because of the trace amount used."

"That's disturbing."

"While disturbing, it's big money. Now the sample you gave me has been recreated with a slight twist. Whoever created it studied the molecular compound of the original sample."

"Do you have the report?"

"Yep." Gabby handed me the report on both samples.

"Thanks." I took the report and left the lab to pick up Ryder. We had a visit to make to someone.

******
I pulled up to a residence and got out as Ryder followed suit. We walked to the front door and knocked.

"Do you think he'll talk?" Ryder asked.

"He might." I shrugged.

The front door opened, revealing Zachery Chase. "I thought I fulfilled my obligation to your family."

"You did, but we're not here for that. We need some answers." I pulled out the vial Dad gave me and waved it before him.

Zachery sighed and stepped aside. Ryder and I entered the house as Zachery closed the door behind us. He limped to a couch and sat down. Ryder took one chair while I took another.

"What do I owe to this unpleasant visit?" Zachery asked.

"I need to pick your brain about the past," I said.

"What's there to pick? That fucker stabbed me in the back and almost killed me. I'm lucky I'm not stuck in some damn wheelchair."

"Not that." I shook my head.

"Okay. Then what?"

"You used to deal in the clubs."

"Yeah, so?"