Nineteen

It was Monday, and just as he said, the Mayor's assistant called and asked Connor to meet Mayor Taylors for lunch.

Of course, Connor agreed.

He wasn't sure what the Mayor wanted. He hoped it was to give an update on what would happen with Chief Marcus and Johnson.

After sharing the news with Bliss, Connor made his way to the restaurant.

It was fancier than he was used to.

He was a simple man but understood Mayor Taylors enjoyed the finer things in life.

He looked around in search of the Mayor.

Mayor Taylors emerged from the window seat that overlooked the mountains.

Connor smiled at the view. That was one thing he and the Mayor had in common.

"Connor Jefferies, good to see you, young man." Mayor Taylors greeted him with a firm handshake.

"Mayor Taylors, thank you for inviting me to lunch. It's an honor,"

Mayor Taylors motioned for Connor to follow him back to their table.

The men sat, and Mayor Taylors shook his head.

"You, Connor Jefferies, have received raving reports on your work as Lieutenant." He smiled, surprising Connor.

"You go above and beyond the requirements of a fireman." He explained. "While I was looking into the Chief and Fireman Johnson, I found reports on you. Among them all, I've found that you stood out among the other men on the job. Not by my own observation and opinion but by the people you've helped. As I sit before you, I find it all to be true. You are a truly humble man,"

Connor felt undeserving of Mayor Taylors' praise.

He was the Mayor.

Connor was just a man.

"Mayor Taylors, I can't take credit for the good reports. As a follower of Christ, I've chosen to work for the glory of God. It's Him through me, sir." He couldn't take credit for God's work.

Mayor Taylor chuckled with another shake of his head.

He couldn't believe Connor's humility.

"Listen, young man. As a follower of Christ myself, I know what it means to do everything for the glory of God. However," He paused with a smile. "You can accept praise where it's due. God doesn't demand that we lower ourselves even when others want to honor us. He asks that we humble ourselves and await the time of honor,"

Connor lowered his head as his words sunk in.

Mayor Taylors was right.

He'd spent years humbling himself, choosing to be a servant of God and man.

Now, the Mayor wanted to praise him, and he didn't know how to handle it.

"Now, Connor Jefferies, I'd like to offer you a promotion in the department."

Connor's eyes widened as his heart raced.

Were his ears working?

"Sir, me?"

The Mayor nodded. "Of course, son. You're an exceptional worker. You'll be a good example to the other men in the department."

Connor wanted to shout to the Lord.

"I-i, thank you, sir."

"Good to hear, Connor." He opened his briefcase and handed Connor a folder. "I'd like to make you the Captain of the Hickory Fire Department."