Chapter 36

RILEY

ASHER SENDS ME HIS USUAL TEXT REMINDING ME ABOUT BREAKFAST.

I'm sitting at the kitchen counter eating a cream cheese bagel with avocado and scrambled eggs that Sutton made. She's sitting beside me, razor focused on her laptop screen reading and chewing her food. With finals this close, it's advised she's up early.

My excuse? The Book Show is today. 

It's something that cannot be placed on hold. It's happening and there was too much on my mind to sleep any longer.

I snap a quick picture of my food and send it to Asher. The message he responds with makes me laugh because he didn't think I'd reply to him, he thought I'd be asleep and I'd probably see his reminder when I wake up preferably later than this.

I guess I don't reply fast enough to his last text so he sends a picture which surprises me, causing my back to straighten. He's wearing hockey gear, gloves, helmet and all.

"Everything okay?" Sutton asks, surprisingly she isn't peeping at my phone screen.

Tucking my hair out of my face, I say, "Yeah, yeah."

For the past two days, Asher's never left the hospital. Not for school. Not for anything. Tommy's still there, doing better than the last time I saw him but —still there— and that made Cole volunteer to bring Asher's clothes because he refused to leave the room. Dave made sure Asher and Tommy got food every morning before he left for work.

I only went there yesterday and I brought story books because I knew Tommy would enjoy them. I probably spent about five minutes, it was all had to spare.

Thankfully, the fever was gone. Tommy still had tubes taped on his face but he was breathing better than before and the doctors said they plan on removing it. I took that as a good sign.

Tommy was watching Santa Buddies when I had first walked in. He smiled when he saw me and I watched his eyes brightened when he caught a wind of the books I held tightly in my arms.

"Are you going to read me?" He asked and he looked so hopeful that I would. I couldn't say no.

"Of course," I said and dragged a chair near his bed. I was close enough my knees brushed the corner of his bed. "Just like I did during Thanksgiving, remember?"

He nodded and grinned. The first time I've ever seen him smile that widely in days.

I select the blue colored book on top, waving it in my hand. "This one is called The Hospital Visit. Do you want me to read this one?"

"Yes." He answered quickly.

"Okay, here we go." I turn the cover and glided my fingers over the page.

Tommy stayed focused on every word I uttered. I turned the book over and showed him all the pictures on each page. I glanced at him every time I said anything just so we were both interested and Asher stood back the whole time. This book was something Tommy could relate to.

"The end. All done." I said when we reached the ending and closed the book. "Are you strong enough to give me a five high?"

Tommy stretched his hand and connected it to mine.

Asher ruffled his hair. "Good job buddy."

I jumped to my feet. "So, I'm going to leave all these books right here for you, okay?"I planted the other books beside the flowers, cards and 'get well soon' helium balloons on the desk near his bed.