Chapter 3

ASHER

ECHO BAR IS CRAWLING WITH TAFT'S STUDENT BODY.

I spot a few familiar faces parting through the crowd. Like West Bradford, wide receiver from the football team and his group of friends. Our football team sucks but they're not exactly raging assholes on campus, most of them respect others but they're mad because they haven't won a single game yet.

I would tell them to have faith but that gets nothing done. What's needed is hard work and dedication. The members of Taft's football team lack spirit and a zombie attack would occur faster than West Bradford making it to the end zone.

My finger traces the rim of the shot glass. This is the second one.

"Dude, look to the left some chick is checking you out." Cole remarks.

At the end of the counter, a pretty blonde winks at me. Oh, damn. Cole's right.

I should be attracted to her. Don't get me wrong, I like a girl who's gorgeous but I love a personality. Blondie's got big blue eyes, pouty lips and what I can see from here—big boobs. Like massive. Her white top is so thin and tight, her breasts appear as if they'd spill out of the top any minute. She catches me looking because she's also watching me with an intense stare. If her eyes could strip me naked, I'd be in my birthday suit no kidding.

A manicured finger lifts and beckons me over.

I down my shot and get up from my claimed stool. The alcohol burns my throat.

"Attaboy." Cole gives my shoulder a faint pat like he's gearing me up for something.

The closer I get to blondie, I take notice of what she's wearing. Pink thigh heel boots, blue jeans and her long legs are crossed as she angles her body in a range where her knees are pointing towards me when she sees me coming her way.

"Hi. I'm Gemma." Blondie greets loudly, sitting up straight I almost assume her back snaps. Her voice is high pitched and it nearly rings my ears.

I can be nice, so I try to ignore the fact that her voice is semi-annoying. Maybe she's just super excited. "Asher."

Staring at me through long lashes, Gemma assures, "Oh, I know who you are handsome." Nope. This is just her normal voice.

"Yeah? Is that why you called me over out of all the guys?" I'm the captain of Taft's hockey team. I know my face isn't forgettable. Might sound cocky but it's the truth.

Blondie—Gemma— twirls a strand of her hair around her index finger. "You're hot. So hot." She says it like it's obvious and giggles like a schoolgirl.

"Do you come from around here?" I've never seen her before. Not saying I know the entire Warren population, but if Gemma is a regular here then I would know.

"Pendleton." She confesses with twinkling eyes.

"Shit. The university?" The name of my rival university gets me every time. Why would anyone name a school something like that? Pendleton—Penis. Penis-a-ton. That's not funny? I don't know, it's funny to me. I'm sure they've been teased about that before. My teammates and I say all sorts of things on the ice when we're skating with the puck and it gets our rivals enraged.

"I'm not exactly a fan of hockey to be honest so don't worry I'm not mad we lost. I watch for the hot guys. You included." She isn't holding back at all. She's bold as hell. "And that bruise on your face? Makes you look even hotter."

My mind flashes back to what Riley said earlier about my cheek. Yeah, girls were interested in that kinda stuff. Why? Beats me.

The bruise was a result of being shoved by Pendleton's defense man. They played dirty tonight. "What about it do you find hot?" I'm curious to hear what she will say.