Chapter 4

RILEY

MY EYES ARE WIDE OPEN WHEN THE FRONT DOOR CREAKS.

I'm sitting on the couch with my sketchbook on my lap. After I managed to put Tommy to sleep in Asher's room which was torture by the way because the kid has way too much energy that surprisedly took hours to tone down. He fought his sleep for some reason. Thankfully, it worked out and I decided to use my free time charging my phone and drawing.  But since the herd of noisy players are about to enter the room, I tuck my sketchpad away and yank my phone from the charger, throwing those in my backpack as well.

There's stumbling on the stairs, and a girl laughing among all the masculine voices. I don't recognize the feminine one. I'm pretty sure Cole is the one who brought home a girl.

Multiple footsteps after, the area is sound free.

But of course, someone's in the living room so I deliberately lift my head. It's Asher because of course it's him. And he's shirtless like he couldn't wait to burst through the front door. It's criminal that he looks like this. All toned and tall. I catch a glimpse of his V-line and immediately resist the urge to think about the deeper the V-line, the bigger the dick. Was that a myth? Averting my eyes to the tiny hairs on his chest that's so minimal it's barely noticeable. Even the stubble on his jaw looks pulchritudinous. He's freaking perfect.

Asher ruffles a hand through his dark hair. "I'm here to free you from your sitting duty."

I'm surprised he didn't bring up the fact that I was basically checking him out.

"Can't wait," I grab my backpack along with my jacket and stand on my feet.

I quickly take notice of the tiny gap between the two of us. I loathe that he's taller than I am even when I'm wearing boots so I have to look up at him when he speaks. Normally, I'm the one looking down at guys or I'm at the same height as them. It makes me feel powerful and now, I don't.

"Remember that I have your number and I know where you live just in case you want to chicken out." I threaten which I'm sure bounces right off him.

He arches a brow. "Another threat. You're on a roll." I watch him lean in and my body becomes as stiff as cardboard. There's no time to ask what he's doing because he says. "We shaked on it so I'll be there. I don't break my promises."

Hot breath grazes the side of my neck. The hairs on my skin stand up. "Good. See you then. Good night Humphrey." I exhale, my work is done. He straightens and I walk briskly past him.

Upstairs, there's a sound of something banging repeatedly and I truly feel sorry for Tommy. Hopefully he can sleep through Cole's antics. If the girl's a screamer then it's over. But that's Asher's problem now and not mine.

Asher grips my wrist though, stopping me in my tracks. "Drive safely and let me know when you are home. I care about your safety and you're leaving my place." When he realizes that I've stopped walking, he releases my hand which is the best thing he's ever done. "Wait. Let me walk you out."

Immediately, I shake my head in disapproval. "That's not necessary."

"It is." Asher insists, and there's a determined look in his eyes like he won't give up on this.

"I mean it. Stay here."I throw my leather jacket over my shoulders. During the night, I managed to shove my turtle neck into my backpack and I can't be bothered to zip it open right now so the jacket on my shoulders will have to do in the night's air.

I'm heading for the front door and Asher's footsteps follow me. When I pull the front door open and step on the welcome mat, the cool air crashes into my face and mid section. Yikes. It's colder than before if that makes sense. My fingers tighten the jacket around my waistline.