Chapter 33

ASHER

I NEVER KNEW THERE WERE SO MANY BLONDES AT OUR HOCKEY GAMES.

The fact strikes me as I gaze at Riley. Her jet black hair unable to hide among the other girls by the plexiglass. She could never be lost in the crowd, at least not to me. Other fans of the game are here too, both young and old. People from different places and backgrounds. It's sort of amazing what hockey can do for others. All of them are here to see us. My girl included. Everyone's cheering and roaring chants across the room. Nothing else mattered, it doesn't get better than this.

I remember my promise to her when we were in Toledo for one of my games, she kept hers. I'm delivering mine.

My face flushes bright red as I skate towards the plexiglass. The screams from the crowd engulfs my eardrums which amps up the way my heart beats. I don't have to look to know that almost every single person starts watching me. Riley's gorgeous green eyes pierce through me. Hers are more important than anyone else's right now. It's just when I look at her, the crowd fades and the cheers simply switch to background noise.

"What are you doing?" She mouths behind the plexi, the color of her cheeks identical to mine.

I promised her that I'd score for her. So that's exactly what I'll do. I lean in near the barrier between us. "About to score for you." I point at her meaningfully. "I don't know if you remember back in Toledo but I keep my promises."

"I remember,"She quickly says and I watch a pretty little smile appear on her face. The other girls seated beside and behind her are bouncing their attention between me and her. Riley doesn't seem bothered by it the looks at all. She doesn't tuck her hair behind her ear in a shy manner, she doesn't shift uncomfortably in her seat, she doesn't make eye contact with the girls staring her down. She's just focused on me. "Show me then and you better make it because otherwise I'm covering my face."

"Okay, yeah." I chuckle, imagining her actually covering her face with her hands. Not only would that be embarrassing but also terrifying and funny. "There will be no need for that. Come on babe, do I look like a loser?"I give her a wink and then I'm skating away from the plexi. I'm certain I heard her giggle.

A bunch of questions follows, whether someone's asking Riley or they're asking someone else.

"Asher Humphrey is your boyfriend?"

"Are they dating?"

"He called her babe. Does he call anyone babe?"

I focus on the puck and begin skating, sweat dribbling down the sides of my face. The last thing I want is to lose this game at our own home. Cole would've had some colorful words if that happens and so would Coach. Tyler glides across the ice flawlessly and passes the black round beauty to me and I do what I know best, I just run with it. I can hear the crowd roar louder than ever before. This is like muscle memory, I've practiced so many times it's imprinted in my bones.

With a deep breath, I move the puck to the right dodging a hungry player from the other school. I can smell the opportunity. I can taste it on my tongue. I can reach it with my bare hands if I just go for it. For a minute, all I can hear is the rush of my heart. It's pounding wildly in my chest. Her voice echoes in my head. I charge towards the net, locking  my wrists and elbows, rotating my hips as I follow through which sends the puck soaring at rocket speed.

The goalie's eyes widen and it's too late to stop my slap shot. The puck hits the back of the net with such force it could've ripped through. I exhale the reality, skating around in triumph as the crowd goes wild. My teammates skate over to celebrate the victory with me.

Paint The Ice जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें