Chapter 12

RILEY

ONE MINUTE I'M DANCING AT THE HOOKAH LOUNGE ON MY BIRTHDAY AND THE NEXT IT'S MONDAY MORNING.

I pull up my beige cargo pants.

Then I fix the beanie on my head, pulling the crochet material over my ears. Underneath, my unwashed hair makes unattractive layers. I'll have to deal with it another day. That day is not today. So I'm putting all my trust into this beanie and I hope it doesn't fail me. Grabbing my tote bag with my cell phone in hand, I march to my door and lock it once I step into the hallway.

Over the weekend, I came down from my high and nursed my hangover. Also, I digested all the pictures that my friends and I captured from my special night. Majority of them, the hockey players were apart including Asher. It's always a memorable night where there's jokes, alcohol, lounges, boys and girls.

I kept the picture of Asher photobombing my almost epic mirror selfie to myself. For some reason I didn't show it to my friends. Is it photobombing when Asher's hands were around my neck and shoulders while I'm fully aware and able to see him?

All I know is that I want to keep the photo. For memories, of course.

I'm immediately greeted with the smell of eggs and bacon when I wander into the kitchen. Mattie stands at the stove, messing around eggs with pepper and seasonings because if that's not in it, Kianna won't eat it. She likes her eggs well seasoned and not plain. Now to think of it, they'd really love Dan's diner.

By the island, Kie's orange hair stands out against Sutton's brown.

"Morning Riles," Mattie greets me when she sees me which automatically makes Sutton and Kie turn around and look in my direction. "Breakfast?"

My phone vibrates in my hand. I pull the beanie further down my forehead. "Yeah, why not."I say, glancing at my phone and then unlocking the device.

"Are you serious?" Surprise laces Kie's voice. Like all this time she's wanted that and I've always skipped or wasn't in the mood and now that it's happening, she doesn't know what to do.

"Yup. Pretty serious." I slide into a wooden stool beside Sutton.

"Asher Humphrey... interesting." Sutton murmurs, peeking at my phone screen. When I look at her, she's shooting me a look with wiggling eyebrows.

Because she's right. Asher Humphrey is on the screen of my phone. He sent me a picture of himself just now and I assume he's got an early morning practice. He's pointing his hockey stick in the direction of whoever took the picture, helmet on his head. Days later and I'm still jealous of his long eyelashes. Under the photo in iMessages, the text reads: your hot reminder to eat breakfast.

So he wants to be my reminder now? I vaguely remember him saying that I should set one or something like that to remind myself to eat. I didn't. Now he's taking it upon himself to be my personal reminder.

He knew I wasn't going to set one on my own.

"We're just texting." I don't know why I defend it. My friends utter mhms as if that's unbelievable. As if I can't just be texting the opposite sex.

I snap Asher a picture of the eggs Mattie made with bacon and fluffy French toast with a dash of maple syrup. My roommate pushes the plate in my direction and I thank her.

"We're still talking about your birthday by the way." Mattie adds, sliding another plate across the surface towards Kie.

"Which one of you told Asher my middle name?" I blurt, tasting the eggs. Flavors burst on my tongue with every chew.