Chapter 15

RILEY

I'VE MANAGED TO CONVINCE MY FRIENDS TO TAKE A TRIP WITH ME TO TOLEDO.

We're in Mattie's car and the ride is an hour and a half. When she pulls up to Huntington Center, the game has already started and we've missed two periods. The cold air nips at my face. I'm not bothered since I'm wearing a sage green oversized corduroy jacket which nearly covers all my ten fingers. I should be good.

Ear piercing screams attack my eardrums the moment I enter the arena. Mattie hooks her arm around me navigating through the room. Kianna and Sutton follow closely behind. At first, all my eyes seem to connect is the color yellow. It hangs everywhere. I get it though. They're in support of Toledo. This is their home. Looks like they're the ones cheering too which could only mean they're the ones who just scored.

"Are they killing Taft?" Mattie looks around, taking note of the screaming fans.

I can't see the scoreboard so I have no idea where we're at in the game yet. "We'll see."

"Are we getting anything to eat?" Kianna questions. Leave it up to her and she'll always remember food.

Mattie stops walking and so do I. She turns which automatically makes me turn because our arms are joined.

"I'll go grab us some popcorn and pretzels. Water too, cause I'm thirsty." Kianna feels out to see if anyone else wants to tag along.

Sutton decides that she'll go with her. "You guys find our seats through all of this madness. We'll be right there."

While our friends leave, Mattie and I make it our mission to find our seats. The arena is full to the point where it looks like a Drake concert. I'm certain the arena is just as huge as ours back at Taft. There's families with kids that can't sit still. Younger audience much like Mattie and me cheering on their friends. Hockey fans that are just here to enjoy the energy.

And boy is there energy here.

It doesn't take long for Mattie and I plop down on our respective seats, throwing our bags on the two empty ones in front of us. Thankfully we're close to the tunnel so I'll be able to spot Cole when he'll be descending after the game whether he wins or loses.

Fortunately I'm capable of seeing the score board. Unfortunately, Toledo is the lead right now.

By the time Kianna and Sutton return with their hands full of food, Taft and Toledo are tied. Yup. Things are getting intense on the ice and the audience just eggs it on.

Kianna hands me something warm and spongey soft if I press my fingers into it. "I got you a butter pretzel because you eat popcorn slowly so I didn't think you'd want that? Thought you'd like this better." She explains her thought process and I smile at her appreciatively.

"And hot chocolate with marshmallows, no whipped cream was available."She hands me the drink afterwards and I wrap my fingers around it.

Honestly? I wasn't expecting it so I'm grateful. The pretzel? Yes. Hot chocolate with marshmallows? Nope but guess who will drink it? This girl. I could work with marshmallows. "Thank you Kie." My lips curl in a soft smile.

"You're welcome." She grins, moving on to Mattie whereas she was handed popcorn.

Mattie picks our bags from the seats and our friends pass through to sit down. "What did we miss?" Sutton asks, munching on some popcorn.

It's Mattie who replies. "We're tied."

I should be watching Cole. He's my brother and that's one of the reasons as to why I'm here but my eyes betray me and gravitate towards Asher Humphrey instead. He's faster than Cole is. It's impossible not to watch him. Sure, my brother is good, but Asher is another level. Maybe that's why he's the captain. He doesn't slow down for anyone. He's so fierce out there, he passes a player in yellow skating towards him. The guy doesn't see it coming, the way Asher passes him in the blink of an eye. I mean, his moves leave me hanging onto my seat. The roar of the crowd just amps up the overall feel. It's clear that Asher did not come here to play.