One Hundred and Nine: Percy sets the school on fire... again.

Start from the beginning

Percy was about to get out of the car when he looked over the steps of the school. Paul Blofis was greeting a girl with frizzy red hair. She wore a maroon T-shirt and ratty jeans decorated with marker drawings. When she turned, Percy caught a glimpse of her face, and the hairs on his arms stood straight up.

"Percy? What's wrong?"

"N-nothing." Percy stammered. "Does the school have a side entrance?"

"Down the block on the right. Why?"

"I'll see you later."

Sally started to say something, but Percy got out of the car and ran for his life, hoping the redheaded girl wouldn't see him.

What was she doing here? Not even Percy's luck could be this bad. 

Yeah, right. Percy was about to find out his luck could get a whole lot worse.

˚ ༘♡ ⋆。˚ ❀

Sneaking into orientation didn't work out too well. Two cheerleaders in purple-and-white uniforms were standing at the side entrance, waiting to ambush freshmen.

"Hi!" They smiled, which Percy figured was the first and last time any cheerleaders would be that friendly to him. One was blond with icy blue eyes. The other was African American with dark curly hair like Medusa's. Both girls had their names stitched in cursive on their uniforms, but with Percy's dyslexia, the words looked like meaningless spaghetti.

"Welcome to Goode." The blonde girl said. "You are so going to love it."

But as she looked Percy up and down, her expression said something more like, Eww, who is this loser?

The other girl stepped uncomfortably close to Percy. He studied the stitching on her uniform and made out Kelli. She smelled like roses and something else Percy recognized from riding lessons at camp- the scent of freshly washed horses. It was a weird smell for a cheerleader. Maybe she owned a horse or something. Anyway, she stood so close Percy got the feeling she was going to try to push him down the steps, which wouldn't be the first time a pretty girl had done that. "What's your name, fish?"

"Fish?"

"Freshman."

"Uh, Percy." Percy gulped.

"Oh, Percy Jackson." The blond one said. "We've been waiting for you."

That sent a major Uh-oh chill down Percy's  back. They were blocking the entrance, smiling in a not-very-friendly way. Percy's hand crept instinctively toward his pocket, where he kept his lethal ballpoint pen, Riptide.

Then another voice came from inside the building. "Percy?" It was Paul Blofis, somewhere down the hallway. Percy had never been so glad to hear his voice.

The cheerleaders backed off. Percy was so anxious to get past them, he accidentally kneed Kelli in the thigh.

Clang.