"So, huh, did you guys... want to go eat something?" I asked, not really sure what to do now.

"Don't you usually go out with your friends after a game?" my father pointed out.

"Yeah, usually. We lost though, so the festivities will be a little less... festive." God, I was so destabilized, I was even losing my vocabulary.

"Still, this is part of your ritual and we know you don't have that many games left, so we wouldn't want to take you away from that," my mother said, "How about we have breakfast together tomorrow instead?"

"Wait, wait, wait, you guys want me to wake up tomorrow morning? Unconceivable," Josh whined, shaking his head.

"It's okay Josh, you don't have to come," I told him, patting his shoulder.

Josh glared at me, slapping my hand away, making my family laugh at his antics. "Oh, wow, when you say it like that, then I absolutely need to come."

"We can go late breakfast. I'll probably be coming home late anyway," I pointed out, everyone clearly amused by Josh' outrage.

"How about early dinner instead?" he replied automatically.

"You really don't have to be there, you know," my father pointed out.

Josh let out a whining sound. "This family is crazy."

"Anyway, we should get going now. Let you get changed and join your friends," my mother pointed out.

I nodded. "I'll walk you guys to your car," I offered, not wanting to leave them just yet.

This felt like a precious moment. I wasn't taking it for granted.

Lexi was quiet, just smiling at me and held my hand as we made our way to my parents' car.

They were a little ahead, so I got closer to Josh and asked softly, "was this your idea?"

"We mutually agreed, if you must know," he replied, just as quietly.

I smiled at him, grateful for my brother.

"Thanks for being here. I know you don't particularly like football."

Josh snorted, shaking his head. "God, you're such a drama queen. It's like you enjoy playing the pitiful puppy."

I shoved him with my shoulder, "shut up."

We walked together for a couple of minutes, chatting together about nothing in particular, just filling up the silence comfortably.

"Well, have fun tonight, and we'll have breakfast together tomorrow," my father said, once we'd reached his car, and then looked at Josh's pained expression and corrected himself, "Or brunch."

Josh grinned at the small victory, and we said our goodbyes.

I turned to my girlfriend, who had been mostly quiet throughout all of this. She was smiling softly at me.

"Thanks for taking care of them during the game," I told her, truly feeling grateful.

"You're welcome! I'm glad things didn't seem to be too awkward," she added, knowing I hadn't had the best run with my parents lately.

"I honestly felt before like I had no idea how things were going to get back to normal, but I think now... I think this is how. Just feeling like they actually care about my life and the things that I want, the things that I like. Not thinking about it, but... just feeling it I guess."

"That makes sense," Lexi agreed, smiling at me.

"Now, come on," I announced, throwing my hands up in the air, "let's stop thinking about my problems. It's time to party."