Masked Manhunter: Epilogue

[28th October 2021]
[00:16]

Several firefighters and policemen had shown up at the sight, trying to save as many people as they could find under the rubble as possible.
"Hey, hey I got somethin' over here!" One firefighter shouted, as several others gathered round him, pulling up the arm of the person underneath the rubble, before Batman himself leapt out from under the bricks.

"Thank you." He thanked them briefly and then pulled both Robin and Lewis from under the piles and piles of concrete and bricks. Robins appearance earned a few stares, some being 'who the hell is that' or, 'what the hell is he wearing'. He wasn't bother by the bystanders though.

They all climbed down from the piles after ensuring that there was nobody else under them. Once Batman reached the actual ground, he saw the arm of Scarecrow sticking out from under a slightly intact concrete wall.

He pulled him out, but unsurprisingly he was no longer alive. Batman felt a strange amount of sorrow for the man, never got to live a normal life, have a normal family or friends. He hoped that whatever was beyond life would treat him better than his actual life had.

He spotted Robin sitting the wall overlooking the sea, kicking his feet.
"Hey, you did good. Real good, kid, and I know it's hard, and sometimes what happened will come back to bite you on the ass. But your family will always be with you, and they will be so proud of you. They already are." Batman layed a hand on his shoulder comfortingly while Robin stared up at him tearfully, nodding.
"Thank you, man. I really, really appreciate what you've done for me."

[Wayne Manor, Gotham]
[09:35]

Alfred headed down the stairs and straight into the kitchen not long after waking up, where he saw Bruce and Dick sitting at a table, discussing the events of the night prior.
"Who is this young gentleman?" Alfred asked, and Grayson stood up to shake his hand.
"You must be Alfred Pennyworth, I've heard a lot about you." He spoke quickly, eager to meet the man.
"You have? Wonderful, and you are?"
"This is Dick Grayson." Bruce answered for the teenager. "He lost his parents in that whole circus charade, so he's going to be staying with us."

That made Alfred smile down at Bruce, as if he had passed on taking care of an orphan, to the orphan that he took care of.

The three of them headed down to the Batcave to listen in on nearby communication systems and find any possible distress calls.

Bruce was listening in before he felt his phone buzzing. He checked the screen to see Barbara Gordon calling, with an additional text saying Jim was awake, making him stand up and leave the other two at the desk. "I gotta run, be back soon. Gordons awake!"

[Gotham General Hospital]
[11:00]

He rushed into the hospital in his Batman suit once more, getting to floor 2 room 37 as fast as he possibly could. When he opened the door, he saw Barbara, fast asleep next to her father, holding her hand.
"Hey Gordon, glad to see you're okay." He greeted the half away detective who smiled up at him from his uncomfortable position, but couldn't move due to his daughter.

"I'm going to take that as the mightiest of compliments. 'Batman was glad I was alright'." He laughed, making him cough a little. "So, what happened since? Did you catch the guy, 'Scarecrow'?"

"Yeah, well, we were about to, but your old friend Nygma blew the base of the tower we were in, causing it to topple over and it killed Scarecrow in the process." Batman explained, to which Gordon nodded. He couldn't exactly say he was sad about that turn of events. "Turns out he was a guy called Jonathon Crane, use to be one of the children who Lewis Prescott experimented on over at Biocentra."

"Damn, must've had a rough life then." Gordon replied, disgusted by Lewis and his actions, which has caused the deaths of tens, maybe hundreds of people.
"Yeah, he did. But. it's over now, maybe he's in a better place now. Anyway, how are you feeling?"
"Heads still a little sore and some things are still orange, like your eyes are glowing at the minute, other than that though. I'm alright. Should be back on my feet in no time."

"I'm glad your okay, wouldn't be able to do this job without you."
"You just took on your biggest task yet without me."
"That's irrelevant." Batman laughed, causing Jim to gasp in shock.
"Did you just... laugh?! I didn't think that was possible."
"Shut up." They both laughed, glad eachother was okay.

[Apartment Rooftop, Gotham]
[22:38]

Batman and Robin stood side by side, after following a potential lead on the Riddler's whereabouts but it turned out to be a dead end.

They looked around to see if they could see anything, but they weren't able to, until the heard the distant sound of sirens and saw the flashing red and blue lights over the buildings.

They took one glance at eachother before gliding off of the rooftop. Side by side.

The Boy Wonder
& The Masked Manhunter

The Dynamic Duo

The End